Mustard Poo

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Mustard Poo

Post by BabyBantam »

How long can I leave the lump there - I work from 07.30 to 16.30 every day, so finding daylight is a real issue & I'm not sure if putting her out into the coop in the dark after a bath when she's a bit damp is too good. I'm also worried about her skin under the lump, as if it's red raw, I've got nowhere to put her seperate from my other chooks.
OK, admit I'm panicing a teeny weeeny little bit here - sorry
tygrysek75

Post by tygrysek75 »

You can take her from cop after work,give her bath,dry her off and you can give her a box with some bedding(not the pillow obviusly)an keep her in spare loo(close the lid for the toilet)if she not completly dry.Return her to cop nex mornig she will be fine.The lump has to go!!!
The older I get the older old is.
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy »

If there is an odour there may be an infection. The lump sounds a bit odd, it is attached in some way to the vent? Palpable? Or is is solid?

How are her droppings? are they a bit tacky, viscous with a smell and sticking to her tail feathers?

I think it might be worth a trip to the vet, specially as she may need a course of antibiotics and that lump sorting out.

If can post a photo it might help :)
Sue

Post by Sue »

I suggested that on Wednesday!!
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam »

I get a message "The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 850 pixels wide and 600 pixels high. The submitted image is 600 pixels wide and 800 pixels high." when I try and upload the photo???

I'm a little calmer now. Thank you all for your help and comments. I got the kitchen covered in mucky water, but managed to bath her in a washing up bowl of baby bubble bath after begging a hour off work. I've removed a bit more poo and cleaned up her feathers. I now have a proper red 'blood' scab that looks healthy on one side of her vent, with a smaller lump of poo still attached under her vent. This seems to be stuck fast & although I had her in the bath a good 20 mins, still will not disolve and starting to think it's mixed in with another scab under it. Everything looks swollen though. I'm also not sure what the inside of her vent is supposed to look like either? Is it supposed to be smooth pink skin, as doesn't look like that when it pulses? She is doing small brown poos with bright yellow streaks surrounding it & all a bit watery.
She LOVED the hairdryer - never thought I'd ever own one, let alone buy one especially for a chook :D Managed to dry her well, she even started talking to me, so at least she got some pleasure out of the experience. Managed to get her back into the coop just as the sun went down & when I checked, she was snuggled up between the other 2, nice & toasty warm.
Keeping my fingers crossed that all ok tomorrow during work hours, will then bring her back into the house & look/smell to check whats going on.
Just kicking myself soo hard that I didn't spot this earlier - I soo hate winter and dark days :(
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy »

If she has had a blow dry, her droppings will be watery due to her being a little warm.

Keep an eye on any odour from her vent, and her droppings tomorrow.

For uploading photos this may help:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5624
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam »

poo resixed.JPG
poo resixed.JPG (17.97 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
trying again (photo before todays bath) but after I'd washed her with water & cotton wool
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Think you shoud trim the feathers hanging over her vent BB. Some of ours have had those feathers effectively block the vent after being stuck down with poo. Then when they poo the feathers get torn out, which could be what has happened in your case, but the flesh ripped rather than the feathers coming out. Her vent looks a bit swollen which says potential infection in that area, although she could be fighting it herself without antibiotics. As Foxy says it needs watching closely as it is a nasty place to get an infection.
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam »

would Baytril work?
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy »

You have done a fantastic job of cleaning her up, it really doesn't look that bad...

Now if that was me, I would actually get a pair of tweezers and not just trim but firmly take out all the feathers surrounding the vent, I would also have a go at removing that lump. Try gently to dissect first to determine if it is attached, ie: it starts to bleed or causes any discomfort to your hen.

Clean and add a layer of sudocreme to protect from her droppings if they are causing excoriation to the surrounding tissue.

Add ACV to drinking water 50ml to 1 litre drinking water.

Consider also using a good probiotic, the only one I would recommend is Beryls in this instance, designed for poultry (and only after any treatment with antibiotics)

Return to “Chicken's Health”