Mustard Poo

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Mustard Poo

Post by BabyBantam »

One of my Bantams is pooing what looks like mustard? Its caught in her feathers like a waterfall, so not liquid, but goo......
I fed them a cabbage centre the other day, so put it down to excess food, but although she seemed to be recovering, back with a vengance today & she's not looking happy. She's out in the garden and still moving with the flock, but unsure what it might be!?
Any ideas please.
BabyBantam

Re: Mustard Poo

Post by BabyBantam »

Just taken a good look at her & cleaned her feathers off the best I can. There is a large lump of poo stuck to her vent and I can't get it off with water as it's too mixed in with her feathers. The other problem is that she seems to have a tear in her skin under the lump, so don't want this to get worse. I've isolated her in the coop with the others outside, but now not sure how to help her.
Just feel like I'm not very good at this :(
Philcott

Post by Philcott »

I would get a small pair of sharp scissors and taking care not to nick the skin, cut the lump away. I had a hen like this the other day - felt horrible that it was so bad and I had not noticed! I managed to get it all off, and she is fine - thankfully has no squits like yours, she was just mucky. I have absolutely no idea what could have caused your problem, but I do find that birds that are not perching at night, tend to get mucky bottoms.
Breed Registrar for Autosexing Poultry on behalf of the Rare Poultry Society.
www.autosexing-poultry.co.uk
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam »

She's perching fine, but all her feather bases are black (she's a black bird) so I'm not sure if she's moulting. I've now put her in a box & will try, but not sure how long I can keep her apart from the others as she's soaking & will get pecked as soon as I put her back in the coop
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam »

the poo left is now attached to her skin and as I pull it away, there is red raw flesh underneeth and she won't let me near it - she's pooing over the top of the lump, but I'm going to have to clean it daily to keep her in this 'state'. She doesn't smell too good either, but can't see any puss or ooze, so presuming the wound is clean.
I've got a photo, but unable to upload it - not got a website to publish too either. She's now very stressed, so had to put her back out in the garden to dry off and get back to 'normality'. She keeps poking her behind with her beak now, but wasn't doing this before.
Sue

Post by Sue »

The best thing would be to hold her in a container of warm, soapy water until it dissolves, which it will do quite quickly. Do you have any baby shampoo? Make sure the water is to too hot, but warm enough. Soak it until you can feel it begin to soften, then you may be able to gently and slowly get it all off. Don't try to cut it away with scissors or pull it off, you will make her very sore or worse! When you get it all off, dry her gently and if necessary, when she is fully dry put some wound power on it.
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
Marigold

Mustard Poo

Post by Marigold »

After trying what Sue suggests,maybe a very gentle hairdrier on low, not too close, might dry her off better than just letting her dry off in this chilly damp weather.

Sent using Tapatalk
cuwiar

Post by cuwiar »

Good luck!
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam »

Completely unable to remove the final lump attached to her bottom half of vent. She's now struggling like mad and obviously in pain. Poo's just bulding up behind the lump and all looking really sore - what on earth do I do :(
tygrysek75

Post by tygrysek75 »

Put her in bowl with warm water and give her a bath,afterwoods dry with hair drier-they love it(at least mine)Make sure she had a good soak and then try to remove the lump.Good luck.Give her bath at home not outside.I usually give them bath in bath tube.Before you will let her out again make sure she totally dry and fluffy.
The older I get the older old is.

Return to “Chicken's Health”