Chicken droppings query

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.

Re: Chicken droppings query

Postby Chuck » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:52 am

I think wormers and cocci treatment whether it be 'stat' or 'cidal' are best looked at as entirely seperate treatments or it will be inclined to cause further confusion.
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Postby serama1 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi Sue, the following link is to a chick poo guide chart which I have found very helpful, and hope you do too:

http://pluckandfeather.com/chicken-poo- ... aphic.html

this from advise on another chook forum.
serama1
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby riz783 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:38 am

Sue wrote:I have posted a link (hopefully!) with a photo I took yesterday of some droppings I found that one of my hens produced (don't know which one yet). Can anyone tell me why they may have produced droppings like this and whether I need to do anything about it. They are all very healthy, eating well. I have found a smaller dropping similar to this one today.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... 99/012.jpg

Please let me know if the link doesn't work.

pictures not more available on this link
riz783
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby riz783 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:39 am

serama1 wrote:Hi Sue, the following link is to a chick poo guide chart which I have found very helpful, and hope you do too:

http://pluckandfeather.com/chicken-poo- ... aphic.html

this from advise on another chook forum.

thanks this is really informative
riz783
Newcomer / Hatchling

Re: Chicken droppings query - URGENT

Postby Icemaiden » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi all.
Serama1's link to a poo photos / diagnosis page no longer seems to work. Please can anyone provide another one &/or tell me what causes yellow homogenous poo with the texture of cream cheese / yoghurt? It's about the colour of banana yoghurt :-)06
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Icemaiden
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Icemaiden » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:28 pm

P.S. The poos in question are pale yellow, creamy consistency (to look at; I haven't handled one) and definitely aren't caecal droppings. The hen in question has been under the weather for a few days but has been eating & drinking until today. She's been having food with Poultry Spice added, but wouldn't even eat mealworms today & isn't drinking :cry:
Icemaiden

Postby chrismahon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:58 am

Ours poo like that all the time when excited but more frequently towards worming time Icemaiden.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Icemaiden » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Sadly Duracell, the hen concerned, has passed away this morning :-(
Are we allowed to bury her in the garden?
Icemaiden

Postby chrismahon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:10 pm

I am so sorry to hear that Icemaiden. Not worms I think. We buried all of ours in the garden, facing east to the rising sun, with a small ritual. DEFRA may have a problem with it but I don't, so in the garden they went. We are the ones grieving not DEFRA.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: Chicken droppings query - RIP Duracell

Postby Icemaiden » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks Chris. We've buried her at the end of the garden, with some large bits of rubble to discourage foxes from digging her up, & some bluebell & daffodil bulbs in the soil on top. At least she had 8 months of freedom, & passed away peacefully on the lawn, under a cherry tree, rather than in a mass cull to make room for another few thousand caged hens...
I hadn't expected her to make it through the night, & when I took the side off the coop this morning I wasn't sure whether she was still alive or not, as her neck was all floppy & I couldn't see any signs of breathing. I laid her out on the lawn in the garden, in the shade of the tree, & my husband saw her move slightly, but a couple of hours later, rigor mortis had set in, which removed any last doubts.

I'm still sad, even though she'd been going downhill for a few days & hadn't laid since late May / early June. Nature has to do the culling for me- I'm too soft to do it myself :cry:
Icemaiden

PreviousNext

Return to Chicken's Health