heavy moult

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: heavy moult

Post by BabyBantam »

I heard that cat food was a good addative to the diet when moulting (for protein). I gave my girls half a tin of food recently & I've never seen them move so fast when running off with a massive chunk in their beak to consume in a corner of the run. VERY funny to watch, but have I been misinformed?
Bertie & The Chooks

Post by Bertie & The Chooks »

BabyBantam wrote:I heard that cat food was a good addative to the diet when moulting (for protein). I gave my girls half a tin of food recently & I've never seen them move so fast when running off with a massive chunk in their beak to consume in a corner of the run. VERY funny to watch, but have I been misinformed?

I'm not keen on feeding cat food to my chickens, as it has CHICKEN IN IT!!!! :-)11
Steph - Buh buh buh Bertie and The Chooks *does Elton piano solo* :D

NOTE:
*I can be abrupt sometimes due to a medical condition - please don't take offense! and let me know so i can amend my reply. thank you for understanding*
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Post by Chuck »

The idea of feeding cat food to chickens I find repugnant !
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
mollteaser

Post by mollteaser »

Chickens are omnivores though. You should see mine with.a frog :(

I have given my little bullied legbar cat food, the fish flavour, when she was almost bald. I've since been told ex batt feed is good for feather re growth.
jubilee

Post by jubilee »

Please don't feed cat food to chickens, the amount of salt there is in it is very seriously damaging to birds! If you want to give them extra meat proteins, give a very small quantity of minced beef, raw, as a treat. Any proccessed canned foods for dogs or cats have added stuff designed for dogs and cats, like salt, fat, oils etc. Not good for chickens. :-)06

JubesXX
Breeders of quality exhibition Orpingtons, in White, Jubilee, Spangled LF. And Chocolate, Jubilee, Spangled and Black Bantams.
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam »

Thanks all, I'll stear clear of pet food from now on - although in response to the chicken content, my chooks seem happy enough pecking each other & eating the occasional feather to be cannibals :~
jubilee

Post by jubilee »

My grandad used to hang a chicken carcass up in his pens for his birds to peck at, :-)03 We would find it gross! but the key thing is, chickens don't associate it as one of them, they're not that clever! It's like when you give them hard boiled eggs, they don't actually know they are eating eggs because they don't know about the boiling proccess and they don't look like 'eggs' so it won't encourage egg eating. Chickens are smart, but not THAT smart! :-)07 :lol:

JubesXX
Breeders of quality exhibition Orpingtons, in White, Jubilee, Spangled LF. And Chocolate, Jubilee, Spangled and Black Bantams.
Bertie & The Chooks

Post by Bertie & The Chooks »

mollteaser wrote:Chickens are omnivores though. You should see mine with.a frog :(

I have given my little bullied legbar cat food, the fish flavour, when she was almost bald. I've since been told ex batt feed is good for feather re growth.

omnivores, yes but you shouldn't encourage cannibalism in animals that are used for meat and egg production for consumption. almost all cat foods have chicken in them, even the ones that are lamb or beef flavoured, they still contain mostly chicken as it's cheap. you must also remember purchasing poorly sourced cat foods using cheap cuts encourages poor conditions for industrial poultry.

Also just a reminder, please do not feed your chickens or cats for that matter Dog food. It's made to swell in the belly and can cause gastric and intestinal problems.
Steph - Buh buh buh Bertie and The Chooks *does Elton piano solo* :D

NOTE:
*I can be abrupt sometimes due to a medical condition - please don't take offense! and let me know so i can amend my reply. thank you for understanding*

Return to “Chicken's Health”