heavy moult

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
VALBURNHAM
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

heavy moult

Post by VALBURNHAM »

what happened to Daisy, Cleaned the coop out yesterday and a few stray feathers around but nothing much. Let them out this morning Daisy came down the ladder shook herself and a mass of feathers fell out of her she now has hugh areas where she looks totally plucked. Looked in the nest box and it was full of feathers. I have never seen this happen overnight before, is this usual. Trust her just as the weather turns cold. Any advise on keeping her healthy during this heavy moult.
Bertie & The Chooks

Re: heavy moult

Post by Bertie & The Chooks »

yes totally normal! i have a naked chook at the moment too. sometimes the skin will even look red raw! quite frightening but this time next week she will have lots more new feathers. not to worry. x
Steph - Buh buh buh Bertie and The Chooks *does Elton piano solo* :D

NOTE:
*I can be abrupt sometimes due to a medical condition - please don't take offense! and let me know so i can amend my reply. thank you for understanding*
VALBURNHAM

Post by VALBURNHAM »

Thanks for that was just surprised how suddenly she lost all her feathers, Just one more question I have most of my bantams moulting at the moment. One in particular has lost colour from her comb she has gone very pale which the others havent to the same extent is this normal for this to happen to some or would you think there was a secondary problem. She looks a bit fed up sometimes but is eating and drinking OK and scratching around normally
Bertie & The Chooks

Post by Bertie & The Chooks »

VALBURNHAM wrote:Thanks for that was just surprised how suddenly she lost all her feathers, Just one more question I have most of my bantams moulting at the moment. One in particular has lost colour from her comb she has gone very pale which the others havent to the same extent is this normal for this to happen to some or would you think there was a secondary problem. She looks a bit fed up sometimes but is eating and drinking OK and scratching around normally

depending on their normal colouring they can lose colour when they are moulting/not laying. I would maybe add some poultry spice or nutri drops to the water for them and be sure the coop is nice and warm with bedding. just keep an eye on her. :D
Steph - Buh buh buh Bertie and The Chooks *does Elton piano solo* :D

NOTE:
*I can be abrupt sometimes due to a medical condition - please don't take offense! and let me know so i can amend my reply. thank you for understanding*
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Post by Chuck »

Losing size and colour of combs is not unusual. Heavy & sudden feather loss is quite normal but there is a lot of variation, some seem to lose fewer feathers over a longer period.

It's natural and no need to do anything extra. Avoid handling them while the new feathers are coming through as they are delicate.
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Little Molly lost 75% of her feathers in a few days in November last year and was freezing! Hasn't moulted yet this year so it will be a repeat. We have a few with pale combs and we give them just one shot of Cod Liver Oil with multivitamins -0.5mL per Kg bodyweight, which picks them up.
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy »

As as been commented on, moulting is an entirely natural process, although when they drop their old clothes so quickly, the result can be a bit shocking for all concerned! :o

As a general rule poultry should go through moulting without too many problems, yes they will become less active and quieter, combs and face furnishings will fade and shrink a bit as all their energy and nutrition is diverted into growing new feathers. They also may become more prone to any bugs that are around. Any poorly bred birds at this stage may not make it through, another reason, when breeding to choose birds which have already come through this process.

With regard to diet supplementation, it is worth noting that feathers are mainly protein, just switching to growers rations or breeders will probably suffice although normal layers are fine! Breeders and rearers feeds contain a slighter higher protein ratio and are designed as all poultry feeds are to be absorbed easily by the birds digestive system. Hens usually cease laying at this time so the calcium levels in layers are not generally required although you can add a touch of poultry spice (minerals not vitamins). Other supplementation should not be necessary, as all that is really required is good husbandry, and some shelter for those less dressed birds! :D
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

We switch to rearer/ growers pellets, where possible, during the moult. Can't change where one or more hens are still laying though.
VALBURNHAM

Post by VALBURNHAM »

Thanks for all that advise, I actually have some growers in from earlier in the year so Ill give them some of that. I also got some supplement pellets for moulting so I will put some of that in her feed. Well when she got up this morning she must be 75% ready plucked now poor thing just as the cold weather arrives. I was just a bit shocked I have seen moult for two years perviously and never anything as fast as this.
jubilee

Post by jubilee »

Great advice from Foxy! :-)17 Totally agree to swapping to growers feed for a while, it shouldn't hurt/damage those who are still laying either, it won't harm them to have a few more nutrients or protein.
A slosh of codliver oil also helps birds feather up quicker, and aids the digestion to get the most out of their feed, utilising more protien and the absorbtion of calcium. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is also good for this added to the water, if the birds don't like oil added to their feed. ;) The cold weather just means she will naturally grow her new coat quicker ;)

JubesXX
Breeders of quality exhibition Orpingtons, in White, Jubilee, Spangled LF. And Chocolate, Jubilee, Spangled and Black Bantams.

Return to “Chicken's Health”