help,is my chicken ill

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
rossco1888

help,is my chicken ill

Post by rossco1888 »

i have a light sussex who has just started laying,she was trying to lay this morning in nest box but didnt,now she is standing in corner of coop with head down and bum in the air and not moving much at all,up until now she was eating and drinking fine,could she have an egg stuck or something else,any help on this would be much appreciated
rossco1888

Re: help,is my chicken ill

Post by rossco1888 »

also her comb is alot paler than usual and drooped to one side
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy »

If she looks unhappy and hanging by the nest, there is a good chance she has a slight egg-laying hiccup. The changeable weather doesn't help unfortunately plus her inexperience. You can bring her in to room temperature, in a comfortable box with straw, the warmth may help her lay. If you can get hold of some limestone powder for a quick calcium fix this should help, calcium not only in the main ingredient in egg shells but also helps the pelvic muscles of a hen work properly. Make sure she has access to plenty of fresh water, she needs to keep hydrated, particulary as we have had very changeable hot weather.

You can sink her in a warm bowl of water for a half hour, this will help her muscles relax, but only if you are confident with her and can keep her in overnight so she is warm and calm, not stressed. Take care not to squash her abdomen just in case the egg breaks, the likelihood is however the egg is soft shelled which is why she is so miserable and uncomfortable right now.

Keep a very close eye, for any other symptoms, for example bloating, tension in abdomen, lack of appetite and general malaise, this would then need a visit to a poultry experienced vet for further treatment and diagnosis. Good luck with her, light sussex are a really nice breed!
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Think Foxy is spot on. She sounds egg bound and its important it comes out intact as any broken shell may cause an infection.
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy »

I would like to add not to assume that she is egg-bound, her pale comb and malaise could indicate another problem. Might be worthwhile checking any other possible causes, is she a normal weight, and any signs of external parasites, lice or in particular red mite. Check her vent is clean and clear.
rossco1888

Post by rossco1888 »

thanks for advice

yes she seems normal weight and no signs or parasites etc.

she has went into roost and jumped up onto her roosting bar,so hopefully she has settled and there al be improvement tomorrow,i will let yous know tomorrow how she is
rossco1888

Post by rossco1888 »

just to let you know she expelled a soft shelled egg yest morning and she is back to her old self,thanks again for advice
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy »

That's good news :-)08
E3lx
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by E3lx »

good advice from foxy and chrismahon
You will never know
Unless you give it a go!!!