Black Comb/Wattles - Paranoid?

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.

Black Comb/Wattles - Paranoid?

Postby LaurenJV » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:47 pm

For the past year I have had the company of two wonderful girls - Lemmy and Bunty. I fell in love with them at first sight and were told they were 'Bluebelles' not that I was bothered what they were!

We had them at POL and a week later were getting our first eggs. For the first few months until November they were fine but then their wattles/combs started turning black with red tips. Being a bit worried I bought some ACV and added to their water, we were using Verm-X once a month and both girls were doing great, eating fine, still egg laying.

Lemmy however one week looked a bit under the weather, not as perky and nosey as she had been, so I took her to the vets. Who couldnt really pinpoint a problem. Crop fine. Poop fine. Still eating and drinking. Just a little out of condition. We got a 7 day course of anti-biotics to syringe into her mouth, and she perked right up.

Both girls have been fine ever since. We get an egg from each almost every day. They feed fine. Run around the vegetable garden like nutcases. Dig up our lawn and gravel pathways when they are out of their run. (Which is a very large run joined onto a big garden shed as their house!) They climb their perch, try to fly miles even though we've clipped their wings. We havent had any runny poop or any sign that they are unwell.

Is it possible that the black combs/wattles are normal for these two girls? Everytime I see a chicken, they seem to have red wattles/combs and I feel a very bad mum!
LaurenJV
Newcomer / Hatchling

Re: Black Comb/Wattles - Paranoid?

Postby Chuck » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:09 pm

The blue hybrids are inclined to have darker combs, some more than others.
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Postby chrismahon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:22 am

We have a Bluebell. Funny little thing she is, doesn't cluck, rather poop pops. First thing I tried to do was wash off the muck from her comb and wattles. It wasn't muck, they are naturally dark grey (blue in chicken speak) and she wasn't very happy with me either!
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby foxy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:49 am

I have an assortment of blue and black feathered girls. When they come into lay their combs redden up from a blueish almost black colour, then in late autumn when laying slows they darken up again.
foxy

Postby E3lx » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:04 am

I know silkies have dark combs, but im not sure about bluebelles
You will never know
Unless you give it a go!!!

http://enisrarebreedchickens.wura.co.uk
E3lx
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby valeriebutterley » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:28 pm

My bluebell has a black comb and wattles, she is about 17 weeks old, and a heavy, healthy girl.
I also have a gold birchen Pekin with coal black wattles and comb, not a pretty sight, but she is so loving and lovely that we forgive her this genetic tomfoolery.
valeriebutterley
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Return to Chicken's Health