New Pekins showing increasing signs of being unwell

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
clairethebear

New Pekins showing increasing signs of being unwell

Post by clairethebear »

We have had these 4 new Pekins now for nearly 2 weeks and I am now quite worried. At first I noticed they were shaking/twitching their heads and put it down to them being nervous about their new surroundings. Now they seem to be sneezing and snorting and stretching their necks. They also seem quite inactive, sitting about alot Two of them seem to be breathing heavily . I am worried they could infect my other birds and am really regretting introducing these new ones. Could anyone give me advice on this please? :cry:
podstable
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: New Pekins showing increasing signs of being unwell

Post by podstable »

Hi Claire --sounds as if they have a respiratory infection .If mine I would keep them isolated then ask vet advise as may need some antibiotics for them and maybe your other birds .Ros
Douzeper

Post by Douzeper »

Sounds like mine! Isolate them quick, I am no expert by a long shot but see my other thread "nightmare"

Its spreading through all my chickens, not nice at all.
clairethebear

Post by clairethebear »

Thanks for the replies. We have got some antibiotics so hope that will help-they haven't got runny eyes at all and seem to still be eating ok-a good sign I think. We have also ordered some Flubenvet online incase it is Gapeworm as the person I got these from was also keeping turkeys.
ncotb
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by ncotb »

hope your pekins are getting better, keep them isolated for a further week after they have recovered just to make sure :-)07
Chicken Vet
Poultry Vet

Post by Chicken Vet »

Hi Claire,

This sounds to me like it is respiratory problem. These are usually caused by Infectious Bronchitis or Mycoplasma. Isolate the affected birds for 3 - 4 weeks and treat with the antibiotics as prescribed. If this problem continues for a long period of time, seek veterinary intervention.

I hope they show signs of improvement soon.

Regards,

Chicken Vet
clairethebear

Post by clairethebear »

Hi everyone,
Just to update you on my Pekins. After treating with antibiotics and Flubenvet they are alot better. My original birds all seem ok too so I am really relieved. We are not really sure what cured them out of the 2 above but thanks for all your help and good wishes.
Regards, Claire.

Return to “Chicken's Health”