Pekin laying problems

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
reno

Re: Pekin laying problems

Post by reno » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:43 pm

Again, very usefull tips, thankyou. I do have vague recolections of my mother cursing a broody bantam we had as kids, when she used to go to collect the eggs every day and this bantam would put up a fight to hang onto the latest clutch it had managed to claim!! :lol:
Are all pekins of similar temperament to each other, or are some types more/less friendly.? I know that it will vary from bird to bird, but Im really pleased at how friendly and chatty my lavendars are, infact the cockeral is the friendliest of all and loves it when he comes over to see me and I make a fuss of him.
Also any tips or opinions on coop/nest box /perch sizes/numbers? I am planning to get an additional 2/3 hens, which would bring my miniature flock to 5 hens and one cockeral.
Thanks again,
Matt
snifter
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Pekin laying problems

Post by snifter » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:19 pm

reno wrote:Are all pekins of similar temperament to each other, or are some types more/less friendly.? I know that it will vary from bird to bird, but Im really pleased at how friendly and chatty my lavendars are, infact the cockeral is the friendliest of all and loves it when he comes over to see me and I make a fuss of him.
Also any tips or opinions on coop/nest box /perch sizes/numbers? I am planning to get an additional 2/3 hens, which would bring my miniature flock to 5 hens and one cockeral.
Thanks again,
Matt
They are all very different personalities for sure.

Perhc sizes is smaller for bantams than large chooks. Too big isn't good for their feet. I forget the rough mesurement but I'm sure you can see what fits your banties feet and then sand down round the sides so its curved a bit.

I'd only have a couple of nest boxes for 5/6. Decent sized bantam house would do you fine then. If you buy a purpose built one it should have the corrct size perches etc.

Return to “Chicken's Health”