Worms or maggots in chickens rear end

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.

Worms or maggots in chickens rear end

Postby alisond » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:36 am

Does anyone know the best course of action? Just given her rear end a wash as it was really dirty and there are loads of worms/maggots coming out of her rear end. Anyone come across this please?
alisond

Re: Worms or maggots in chickens rear end

Postby Tim » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:57 pm

I have 2 thoughts-

1. They are maggots and a fly has laid eggs and there are maggots eating flesh (yes sounds horrible but can happen). Not sure what to do to be honest - I think this would be a trip to the vet for me... in sheep they wash and use an insecticide to kill off the maggots.

2. (More likely) they are coming out of her bottom from her lower digestive tract and are not maggots but worms. It is probably a bad infestation so will require a few treatments. This doesn't usually require a trip to the vet but you will need to worm them ASAP with Verm-X (100% natural / herbal wormer) or a chemical wormer like Flubenvet.

Have a quick read of this article about worming chickens. I have just started a Poultry Medication section too - that has some handy information about Flubenvet for worming chickens.

Let us know how you get on....

Tim
Tim

Postby alisond » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks for your reply Tim...

Have bought some Verm-X and have given her 3 times the usual daily dosage as it advises on the instructions, and will do this for the 3 days and see what happens.

She is eating (I gave her the dosage on bread and she has also eaten pellets), and drinking, and her comb is still bright red so I hope it is worms as you say and can be treated. I have separated her from the other 5 hens just in case.....

Will let you know how she gets on
Thanks
Alison
alisond

Postby Tim » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:51 am

Great. Let us know how you get on Alison.

I have been very impressed with Verm-X when trying it on my own hens.

Tim
Tim

Postby alisond » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Hi there...

Unfortunately our hen has not eaten or appeared to drink at all today. She is very lethargic. We gave her a bath to try and get rid of some of the worms around her rear end -they are about 1/2" long and white. But I am wondering if the infestation is just too bad - there seem to be hundreds of the things.

She did take a small amount of Verm X on some bread but that is all... do you know if it is safe to give it her through a syringe into her mouth? I really dont know what else to do with her.

Thanks for any further advice

Alison
alisond

Postby snifter » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:38 am

Have you trimmed the feathers round her vent? Helps so you can see a bit better what might be going on. Also gives the blighters less places to hide. If its maggots you can usually then find if they are on the flesh and flush the wound out etc. Apply whatever is suitable to kill them then.

If worms then again, still worth trimming round the vent.

I occasionally bathe mine HibiScrub (I use it on all my animals, its a surgical handwash but my vet recommends it for skin problems for my dogs and its been brilliant). Of course I understand you might not want to ;) I don't know of anyone else uses it on poultry. Also I tend to dry my chooks with a hairdryer afterwards. I've only used Hibiscrub on my chooks three times in the past and used cotton wool balls to pat on the affected area with Hibiscrub solution added in the water. Only once dunked a bird in who was a pain to try to just bathe problem area. She smelt lovely afterwards :lol: And was fine. Her bald patches on her back (cock bird treading her too vigourously) much improved. Far less red and angry looking.
snifter
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:45 am

Sounds like they are maggots from your description.

Verm X is 100% herbal and I think you could give it to her with a syringe but if it's maggots, this won't help. If you can't find / clean the wound out like Snifter suggests, I would get her to the vet - he will hopefully be able to clean / treat the area to stop them causing any further damage... if she has stopped eating, she needs help fast.

Tim
Tim

Postby alisond » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks for your help....

We have cleaned the area really thoroughly but they just keep coming out - there does not seem to be a wound, just appear to come from her rear end. There are hundreds of them. I will give her the verm x orally but do you know how I can find out if there is a vet not too far away from South Manchester who will deal with poultry? My local vet knows nothing about them.

Many thanks
Alison
alisond

Postby silly ol chook » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:21 pm

hey have you tried washing area with salt water. Maggots hate it but will also burrow back in the flesh to avoid it. If its maggots you need to act pretty quick. She will also smell like the sweet rotting flesh smell. Here in oz some people will use flystrike powder like they make for sheep. Cheers
silly ol chook

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Hmm...poultry friendly vets - now that's always tough...

We are slowly creating a poultry friendly vets list but I don't think there's anything in your area yet.

How far is Derby? I have a name of a poultry vet (still unconfirmed if they are any good) - The Jamieson Veterinary Group 01159 329322

Other than that, there's Yorkshire but I can't find any in Lancashire. - Best bet is get the yellow pages and call each one, asking whether they have a vet that has any experience with poultry I guess.

Good Luck...

Tim
Tim

Next

Return to Chicken's Health