Poorly Ex-Batt.. Any idea?

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Sandrine
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Poorly Ex-Batt.. Any idea?

Post by Sandrine »

Hi all,
One of my friends has recently re-homed some ex-batts chickens and one of them is a little poorly. She's asked me if I had any ideas based on the photo attached, but I don't really as I have not had ex-batts before nor poorly chickens as such ... I asked her if there was anything else odd with the chicken and she said that her head goes down. They thought it was a prolapsed maybe? Again never heard of that... Have you got any ideas yourself? Would you isolate her for a few days to keep a better eye on her, see if she eats and drinks ok, etc,...?
Attachments
Exbat.JPG
Exbat.JPG (120.86 KiB) Viewed 147 times
bigyetiman

Re: Poorly Ex-Batt.. Any idea?

Post by bigyetiman »

The only prolapses I have seen are pretty bloody, that looks like a large faecal mass, unless their is a prolapse lurking under the muck. Best thing would be to try and clean the area gently and see what lurks beneath. I haven't seen anything like this, I am sure someone else may have. Sorry I can't be more help
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Unlikely to be infectious, I would think, so it might be best not to isolate her as she will be having enough problems fitting in to such a different environment and a new flock - unless the other hens are pecking at the sore spot, in which case, isolate immediately. Definitely clean up her back end with warm water and cut off all the dirty matted feathers, then it should be possible to see if she has a prolapse or is tending that way. I would then treat the area with purple disinfectant spray, especially If there is an open sore or any inner membranes are protruding. If it’s a full prolapse I think the kindest thing is to have her PTS as she is very unlikely to recover.
What does she look like from the front? Eyes? Nostrils? Is she feeding and drinking? Does she want to sit down in a corner or is she active? We really need more details and pics if we are going to be able to help.
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine »

Thank you both very much :-) I have passed the info on to my friend. I will keep you posted... or maybe come bac k with a few more questions,...! Thank you again :-)
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine »

additional info from my friend:
The back one is the poorly hen, we haven’t seen her sit down but they are busy walking around in the day and at night she is in the coop with the others and they all snuggle up. She doesn't wander around as much as the others and stays near the coop
Attachments
Exbat 2.JPG
Exbat 2.JPG (97.51 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Sounds as If she’s hanging on in there for the time being. Would your friend like to send more pics once she has cleaned her up and removed the mess, and tell us what she has found?
(Or she’s welcome to register on here and speak for herself of course!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Forgot to ask, what’s her pooing like?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Looking at the photograph it's possible she is just bunged up with a solid plug of poo, probably stuck to feathers. Needs to be washed/ soaked away and her rear cleaned up immediately. Could be poo is rotting inside her and she is egg bound.

It's not a prolapse and as said it's best not to isolate her as it isn't infectious and re-introducing her will be problematic.
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine »

Marigold wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:22 pm
Sounds as If she’s hanging on in there for the time being. Would your friend like to send more pics once she has cleaned her up and removed the mess, and tell us what she has found?
(Or she’s welcome to register on here and speak for herself of course!)
Thank you Marigold :-) I have sent her the link so she'll probably register at some point :-) I have mentioned that you are all a very friendly and helpful bunch in this forum ;-)
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine »

Marigold wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:56 pm
Forgot to ask, what’s her pooing like?
I am told that it is very runny

Return to “Chicken's Health”