Hens not developing?

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Hens not developing?

Post by dianefairhall »

We do have organic only bins on the island so most food waste goes in there, so I will have to start saving the choicest bits for the hens. We have two cats so they are not interested in veg but love cheese. I read somewhere that hens will eat cheese but I can't find the article again. We've usually a bit of salad in, tomatoes and salad greens at the minimum but they've not shown much interest in the salad leaves. Maybe I need to chop those or hang them up?
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Don't give them cheese, they mustn't have fatty foods, they will put on fat round their ovaries as they age and develop internal problems. Mine don't like salad leaves much either but they do like dark green cabbage leaves.
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

OK, no cheese, the cats can have it. We don't like dark green veg so maybe I need to buy some just for the hens.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Dark green cabbage is a favourite, and the purple cabbage, and you get to poo pick purple !! Spinach especially if they can get near the stuff growing in the garden. Ours love lettuce but won't touch tomatoes
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Wow, a lifetime ambition, picking purple poo!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

OK, - my non-PC post, and replies, now deleted. Sorry - I hope nobody took offence. Let's just say my finger slipped?
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

No offence taken. You should have gone for Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled purple poo etc etc
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

No, not offended but I did worry some might be,
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Just an update. My hens seem to be coming on well now. No eggs but I didn't expect any yet. The girls are looking much more grown-up now and are very lively and seem happy despite the bloody awful weather we're having. Windy(no change there) and hissing down (not so usual).

Return to “Chicken's Health”