Eggless wonders

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
bigyetiman

Re: Eggless wonders

Post by bigyetiman »

Ours definitely go off lay in very hot weather, preferring to laze under the yew/rose hedge which stays shady and cool most days, as opposed to rushing about eating, can't say I blame them.
We have had a few wind eggs in our time. Sometimes we will stick one in a box of eggs for someone, which usually causes great excitement from the recipient, especially when they open it and find a perfect miniature egg inside. The world of the hen egg is an amazing experience when you delve into the things that can occur
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

So, since posting this on 12th July, Barbie and SIndy have still not laid a single egg, making it around 3-4 weeks. As mentioned before, Barbie used to lay every day and Sindy 2-3 times a week. They just completely stopped. Because I got them from a battery farm, I am assuming they were just over a year old when I collected them last May (2018).They are otherwise healthy looking and very perky.

I miss my eggs, but I am also concerned. Is there another feed I should try or any food supplement?

UPDATE!! Barbie laid and egg this morning. She must have known I was complaining :lol:
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

They were more likely between 18months and 2 yrs when you got them, which means they are a good age now, for a commercial hybrid. Laying can sort of tail off gradually, or just suddenly stop. I've found that health issues also increase from the age of about 2 to 2 1/2. You might have to accept that you have some post henopausal, retirees!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Thanks, HenGen. So long as they're healthy I don't mind. That's the trouble with ex battery, we don't know their true age.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

I think Sindy has a problem. I say Sindy, as she is the one who used to lay odd looking eggs, occasional soft shelled eggs and who has not laid an egg for at least 2 weeks,probably longer. Last year she sometimes laid double yolked eggs. I found this today in the nest box. A HUGE egg with what looks like another attached to it. It is soft shelled, like rubber, not delicate, so you would have to squeeze it to break it.

I know she's an ex batt and I don't know her true age, but I don't want to go into the coop one day to find her dead, from a painful death. She has a red comb and is active and perky, but neverthless could this monster egg be hiding an illness? I'm thinking it was her who laid that tiny egg last week,too.

Can I ask what my fellow friends on here would do please?
Attachments
Eggs1.jpg
Eggs1.jpg (143.62 KiB) Viewed 833 times
Oddegg.jpg
Oddegg.jpg (127.03 KiB) Viewed 833 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Wow, that's amazing! I've never seen one like that.
As they're much-loved pets, and you're not too concerned about egg production, I'd just keep an eye on her. She appears OK ATM, no egg has yet got stuck, no prolapse - when something like that happens, you may want to decide she's had enough and spare her any pain, but i would let her live out her time whist she seems happy, eating and drinking, and not hunched up or retiring inactive to a quiet place.
Sandrine
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Sandrine »

Very interesting thread I must say as I was also wondering about the hot weather and much lower egg production... We have also had an egg with no shell some few weeks ago - though nothing quite like the above photos... Unfortunately I can't offer any insights as I was speechless when I saw it... I have had my fair share of bad news this July but I do hope that everything works out in the end for your girls.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

I'm so sad to think I might have to "let her go", but so long as she's acting and looking OK, I tend to agree with you, Marigold. If she starts to act as if she's poorly, I would not be able to despatch her myself, I would have to take her to the vet.
I read your recent posts, Sandrine, you have had some terrible bad luck and I hope that's now all in the past.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

It's OK when you take a chicken to the vet - the ones I've taken just had an injection and went to sleep on the table in front of me, very peaceful. Sad, of course, as with any much-loved pet, but a relief as well.
And the ones that are found dead overnight in the coop have often had a quick heart attack and saved you the decision. Problems start when there's clearly an old hen in pain, possibly peritonitis or egg bound, and you have to decide what to do. Personally, with the old girls, I now act quickly.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Seen some odd eggs in my time, but not one like that. Our old bluebell laid a few odd eggs including the rubbery "lash" type just before she stopped laying then lived to be 6 1/2 years old. If she looks healthy and eating, drinking ok just let her be. If she starts to go downhill then you have to make a decision.
Good luck with her

Return to “Chicken's Health”