Eggless wonders

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
rick

Re: Eggless wonders

Post by rick » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:28 pm

Good luck from me too Tweetypie. It is a risky time for a super egg laying hybrid. Their oviduct and, I think, particularly the shell gland gets tired and worn out. There might be some lining involved with the larger 'egg', maybe. They do shed it occasionally (resulting in one description of a lash egg). But its not bad timing, heading into late summer - if she stops laying soon and has a good rejuvenating moult.
... but whatever happens, do remember that you have already saved them in spades! Brown hybrids are absolutely lovely and if (when) I have an empty run again then I think Ill be ready for some rescues.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:43 am

Because my lot are taking a very long time to mature, I bought a couple of POL Lohmanns from Rokers near Guiuldford. They are such lovely girls, gentle quiet and so well mannered and behaved, it is almost as if they had been to finishing school!!

I let them out the same afternoon I bought them, and the day before yesterday they each laid a perfect, medium, brown egg, same again yesterday. They talk to me all the time. And come and see me for a cuddle.

A great bonus I did not know I needed.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:01 pm

I was amazed to find another egg today from Sindy. A normal one. The crafty old bird, she must be doing all this scare mongering for attention!!
Because I only have 4 hens and they all have their unique egg colour and shape, it makes it easy to distinguish who laid what, apart from the odd occasion when I get mixed up if the egg colour is similar.
I do love those hens and especially my ex batts. They have more personality.

Return to “Chicken's Health”