Sneezing and runny nose

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Marigold

Re: Sneezing and runny nose

Post by Marigold »

I would imagine the newbies will be vaccinated up to their eyeballs against mycoplasma. Are the previous ones vaccinated birds? Nothing you can do except wait and see, I think.
Roisin
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Roisin »

Yes, the old birds are vaccinated too _ brought from the same breeder 3 years ago. It just looks more like an infection than an allergy. Looks like the old birds will pull through though _only one is very snotty now. And although i love the sun am relievedfor them that the hot weather is cooling down ..
Roisin

Post by Roisin »

I have just emailed the breeder to see if they were vaccinated against mycoplasmosis.
Roisin

Post by Roisin »

The birds were vaccinated against mycoplasmosis and did recover completely althoug i must say my two older birds were very poorly indeed. Still, all well now, though i do hear the occasional snuffle/sneeze from one of them. My only worry is, I get 3 or four new birds evry couple of years. Will they automatically come down with it?
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

The only way to be sure you've cleared it from your flock is to have an all-out/new in policy, with a really thorough clean-up of the entire premises and equipment between batches. Then re-stock with vaccinated POLs from a trusted source. I hope I don't sound hard-hearted when suggesting this, and of course the choice is yours, but if you intend to keep elderly and probably infected pensioners you will never get rid of mycoplasma.
Please understand this is just one way to manage a flock, and I do realise this is hard for people who keep their hens mainly as companions and pets. I'm not saying you haveto do it - =just that if you don't, you may have to live with the consequences in future generations of hens. Of course, first you need to be sure of the diagnosis. If you are positive that there are no allergens in their environment, then the most likely cause is an infection. If the pophole is closed at night, especially if the hens go to roost in there with damp feathers, the atmosphere will be very humid and any bacteria will be passed around them all in the air they breathe. Like in the doctor's waiting room, very uncomfortable for the hens.
Roisin

Post by Roisin »

It was definitelyan infection. I dont close the coop door at night (except maybe when it snows). I hear what you're saying - and i know farmers often cull old flock before bringing in new birds. I understand the health benefitsof this in terms of infection control - but i dont cull my birds (too chicken!) - and they usually meet a natural end when the time comes on a bed of straw with food and water by. The exception being if a bird is sufferinga lot and then i do bring to the vet to put down.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

That's very understandable, and a lot of us feel that way. You obviously understand the issues involved and the choices we all have to make sooner or later. Culling old friends is a sickening job, and I hate doing it - but once it's over, and everything is lovely and clean and fresh, I do like shopping for newbies!
Suemac
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Suemac »

From Suemac
One of my girls seems to have a permanent wet bottom and is sneezing. I have wormed all 4 with layers pellets mixed with flubinvet as per instructions on bag for 1 week. Water has cider vinegar added and no other food given. She eats well is active comb is red eyes bright. However have noticed she is losing tail feathers but not noticed bullying at feeding station or anywhere else. Is there anything else I can do? I would find it hard to isolate her and other 3 are not showing any similar problems even after living together for some months.

Return to “Chicken's Health”