Poorly chuck

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Marigold

Re: Poorly chuck

Post by Marigold » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:51 pm

I've decided that if and when any of mine become ill, I'll do my best to treat them at home with the help of friends on here and a bit of experience, as you are doing so successfully. Chickens often seem to respond to simple home remedies and general good management, without recourse to the vet and definitely no antibiotics. Vets seem to prescribe Tylan or Baytril whenever they're not sure what's wrong with the bird, maybe because the client expects them to do something, and despite the drawbacks of antibiotic drugs, and if they do get better it's put down to the antibiotic whether or not that had anything to do with it. Also, although I'm fond of my chickens I'm resistant to paying vets bills, which are very high in proportion to the cost and life expectancy of a chicken, although I understand that other people will do almost anything for their birds. With a bit of hard-won experience, you get to the stage where you can recognise conditions which are most probably terminal and painful, such as prolapse, peritonitis or various contagious or infectious diseases such as bronchitis or Mareks, and in these cases I'd have no hesitation in culling the bird. Fortunately, with good management and healthy stock to start with, such occurrences are rare, and my main problem is the tendency for hens to clutter up the run by living very long and healthy lives long after their egglaying days are over!
hip chick
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by hip chick » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Chrismahon im going to order the Avipro Avian today. Do you put it in their water everyday !!
Marigold im sure I will learn more and more as time goes on, and think I will be avoiding the vet at all costs in the future. Its good to know ive got people on hand who have the knowledge and experience
hip chick

Post by hip chick » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Thought I,d upload a few pics while im getting the hang of it. Couldnt get any of Ethel as she was in the nestbox, but pics of my other girls, and the lovely Hetty who's hopefully on the mend
The attachment Hetty1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Hetty.jpg is no longer available
Hetty.jpg
Hetty.jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 118 times
The attachment penny.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Lizzie.jpg is no longer available
The attachment liz and penny.jpg is no longer available
hip chick

Post by hip chick » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:21 pm

penny1.jpg
penny1.jpg (60.95 KiB) Viewed 117 times
penny.jpg
penny.jpg (70.15 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Lizzie.jpg
Lizzie.jpg (64.95 KiB) Viewed 117 times
liz and penny.jpg
liz and penny.jpg (67.19 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Hetty1.jpg
Hetty1.jpg (53.31 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Such beautiful hens, Hip Chick, like fluffy meringues :-) I'm pleased Penny appears to be on the mend.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Beautiful! They look like those old-fashioned powder puffs my grandmother used, especially the seductive shot of Hettie's nice clean bum.
hip chick

Post by hip chick » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Just love em. Totally different to any chickens I've had in the past. Definitely like their cuddles
rick

Post by rick » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:56 pm

They are lovely hip chick!
Tweetypie wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:41 pm
Do you think I am being over cautious?
Its always good to be observant Tweetypie and sneezing is always to be noted - I'd damp down the dust bath just a little if its very dry. Some saline solution on kitchen roll is good to clean up and clear nostrils.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:45 pm

rick wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:56 pm
They are lovely hip chick!
Tweetypie wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:41 pm
Do you think I am being over cautious?
Its always good to be observant Tweetypie and sneezing is always to be noted - I'd damp down the dust bath just a little if its very dry. Some saline solution on kitchen roll is good to clean up and clear nostrils.
Hi Rick, thanks for replying. I did clean her nostril with some clean, damp, tissue a couple of times. She wasn't sneezing as much earlier this evening, but I will definitely keep an eye on her. She uses the space under the shrubs to bathe in, but has also ventured into my rockery borders this week, so wonder if there was something in there. Do you think ant powder could cause it, as this was used near that rockery 5 days ago.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:28 am

interesting article here, explaining how birds breathe. its a sort of mixture of air coming into the lungs and being stored in the bones, which makes the bird lighter in flight. Certainly, any type of toxic powder would be best avoided, for your sake as well as the chickens, and this includes dry diatomaceous earth in the coop, as this is very harmful to lungs.
https://www.petcoach.co/article/respira ... -function/
Are the ants a problem? I would have thought the hens might eat them, if untreated?

Return to “Chicken's Health”