Egg shape and size

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Marigold

Re: Egg shape and size

Post by Marigold » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:42 pm

It's not so much eating the plants in our garden as we don't grow anything tender and edible, the trouble is the way they scratch stones and rubbish out of the borders and on to the lawn, which makes big problems when mowing the flints. When I do let mine out I make a circle on the grass under the trees with chicken netting and push-in posts, not electrified, which usually contains them. I used to have one brown leghorn who would immediately fly out, but then spend the rest of the time peering through the mesh at her friends and trying to work out how to get in again. And of course they then dig holes in the lawn, you can't win really. Shaking the corn box brings them all running when I want to get them back in the run.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (254.62 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Tweetypie
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Tweetypie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 pm

OOH what beautiful looking hens, what breed are they? I love the cream/buckskin colour at the back. They do look like posh birds :-)

PS Yes I know what you mean about stones on the lawn. Today, I just put some old boards on their side, around the gladiolis . It did the trick. They have a huge garden to go out, but that's the bit they like, because the soil is nice.

Can I ask, which type of soil do you use in your indoor dustbath?
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:45 pm

My girls dustbathe in dry garden soil to which I add a bit of wood ash from the log burner & a sprinkling of Diatom. Some people use play sand.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:42 am

Tweetypie wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 pm
OOH what beautiful looking hens, what breed are they? I love the cream/buckskin colour at the back. They do look like posh birds :-)

The one outside the netting is Saffron, a Brown Leghorn. The smaller greyish one inside is Nutmeg, a purebred Cream Legbar. The big golden one is my beloved Marigold, a Buff Sussex, the one in my avatar.
Not posh birds, all good layers in their time. I think all chickens are beautiful, like dogs it's lovely to have so many different sizes, breeds and hybrids.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:03 pm

They are all beautiful. I just love the colour of Marigold. I am tempted to get another hen or two, just so I have enough eggs throughout the week. I'm just a bit cautious about upsetting my pair. They are quite happy together.

Icemaiden - I did wonder if sand was OK to use. I am currently making a little den for them, under the big tree where it is cool and shaded. I am going to put some weather/weed proof membrane down, followed by linoleum, so it can be easily cleaned if necessary and then add sand. This area will be good for winter so they don't get muddy, but in summer will be lovely and cool. Going to post a pic in Dustbath forum. :D

Return to “Chicken's Health”