SOS! What's wrong with Violet?

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: SOS! What's wrong with Violet?

Post by chrismahon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 am

Those symptoms and that stance are typical of attempting to lay a soft shelled egg- it takes a lot out of them, presumably because there is nothing firm for them to push out. There may be a softie, or the remains of one, in the coop? Perhaps she will then lay a good egg tomorrow?
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:42 am

Hurrah!

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Chris' idea sounds very plausible.
rick

Post by rick » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 am

Thank goodness! :)
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:29 am

Fingers crossed that she's OK now.

I didn't know that laying a softie took so much energy, one's immediate thought is that they just slip out but what Chris says makes far more sense when you think about it.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 am

Good news that she's recovered. Granny sucking eggs comes to mind but are you giving them plenty of mixed grit, the sort with limestone or sea shells in it. This is very important as laying uses a lot of calcium.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:33 pm

You need to be careful with extra Calcium Hen-Gen as it could potentially make the situation worse I have previously read. To metabolise Calcium into and out of the bone store needs Phosphorous. The feed we buy here for laying hens contains 3.93% Calcium and 0.49% Phosphorous, so I guess the ratio required is about 8:1. We now use flint grit with insoluble limestone (can't buy it here) and haven't had a softie laid for well over a year. The only thing that extra Calcium above that could do is overload the kidneys and/or liver perhaps.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Totally agree, chrismahon. Extra calcium should never be added to the food for the reasons you give. But as a constituent of the grit it is important. The mystery is how hens have an instinctive awareness of what their bodies need. Be handy if we could do this!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Glad she is fine today, she is a dead ringer for our Misty.
We had a hen once, acted exactly the same, thought she would be dead the next morning, low and behold next day there she was all fine and dandy, eating the soft egg she had obviously struggled to lay
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Well, Violet laid a perfect little 47gram egg this morning, her fourth. No sign of any soft egg remains anywhere in the coop or run. Seems totally back to normal behaviour. Another good example of Mrs. B's 24-hour rule.
And to think I lay awake, thinking of her enduring a long night of pain, or worse. Reminded me of when I was about 13 and going through puberty, now and then looking pathetic enough to earn a couple of hours lying down comfortably in the Medical Room, thus missing Games. Or sometimes Maths. if I was behind on my homework.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:15 am

Marigold, delighted Violet has recovered, and seems to be doing well. They are such pretty, well mannered hens, hope she has a productive, eventful life.

Return to “Chicken's Health”