Light Sussex pullet with extended chest

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
valeriebutterley
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Light Sussex pullet with extended chest

Post by valeriebutterley » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:43 am

I have three girls, six and a half weeks, all lovely, feathered well grown for their age, all from the same clutch of eggs, and with huge appetites.
One has a huge floppy chest that would extend to frigate bird proportions if inflated. She seems well and the chest does not seem to bother her it is floppy and soft to the touch. I know it is not normal
I have not seen anything like it before. If anyone has any knowledge or ideas what is the matter, I would be grateful for an input about this, it has been about a week since I noticed it first.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Marigold

Re: Light Sussex pullet with extended chest

Post by Marigold » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:16 am

Hi Val, sorry to hear about your chick. I've moved your post to Chickens Health, in the hope that you'll get some good replies there.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Marigold, many thanks, I realised as soon as I had posted that it was in the wrong place. Hope for some idea about her problem. She does not seem worried by it at all.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:57 am

Sorry Val but I haven't a clue? Presume they are now switching over to the lower protein rearers pellets and perhaps in time she will grow to be normal? It could be an abnormally large crop for her age so does it firm up when she has eaten?
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:08 am

Hello Chris and thanks for your reply. Today is food changeover. The chest never seems to firm up just huge and wobbly, (envy here!!)

Years ago we had a Bluebell with the same problem but that developed after POL. It never bothered her and as far as I can remember she led a totally normal life apart from a flapping bosom. I think my granddaughter whose hen she was, only worried about her knocking herself out when she ran!

I must stress she is the same size as the other two, eats very heartily, very good nature and otherwise well and lively.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:47 am

Perhaps it is fat Val and she is predisposed to carrying a lot of it? May be it will shrink when she comes into lay? We've had fat piggy Orpingtons before and they reduced when laying and grew again when they were not. Both the ones remaining are heavy in front at the moment (not laying) and they do look rather funny when running because they are all out of balance due to the movement of their chest. But they are in perfect health and talking constantly.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:36 am

If she's still only a 6-7 week-old chick, perhaps a lot of surplus fat is unlikely?
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:42 am

We had a Bluebell with a large wobbly crop, which didn't cause her any problems and she lived to a ripe old age. She just developed like that
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Many thanks everyone for your kind replies, I found her dead this morning under the heat plate, so at least she was comfortable and warm when she died.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Sorry to hear that, Val, but at least it saved you having any hard decisions.

Return to “Chicken's Health”