Underweight chicken

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.

Re: Underweight chicken

Postby dinosaw » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Sorry to hear your news Rick. They can indeed soldier on for a fair period of time, often alternating between looking ill and then perking up for while.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby rick » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Hmmmm... I'm banking on it being an unusual infection as she has never actually looked ill the whole time (hunched, fluffed etc). But I suppose 'fluffed' is the normal appearance of an Orpington anyway (she hasn't had her head pulled in at all - has seemed quite normal - who knows?) She will have to respond to this antibiotic, gain weight and stay that way ...
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby rick » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:06 am

You are, of course, probably right Dinosaw. Whatever the cause, and though it is showing as a background sort of peritonitis at this time, it is very worrying. I think her gut has stopped working properly to absorb calories from food. As I am bringing her in every evening for her dose of pills and an extra meal she is getting talkative and that chimes with Chris's comments about well chickens. But, at the moment, it is taking special treatment to perk her up to normal. Only by eating special suppers is not a way that a bird can keep going indefinitely!
But she doesn't show any of the classic signs of being seriously ill either - other than being under weight. A tumour maybe?
Going to make sure she eats full rations over the weekend as that seems to be the main problem at the moment. She isnt the bottom of the pecking order so should be eating without issue. Even seems next in line to Aerial at the moment and is not adverse to giving the CLBs a peck.
Only been a few days into the antibiotic - come'on Bonnie - surprise me please!!!
It's a mystery. Just rambling!
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby valeriebutterley » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:41 am

Rambling? I do it all the time about my girls to the family - they do get very bored with it I'm sure, but are quite polite overall, and sometimes even enquire about my feathered girls health!

1 egg yesterday, 2 the day before, but lot of beautiful red crests, so don't know quite what's going on this year. With the ones who are moulting it is obvious but I'm quite cross with the rest of them and tell them so. They are so bothered they sometimes give a treble cluck, and carry on regardless.

My three RIR littlies, Rosie, Ruby and Ruffles are growing into stunning, heavy, rosewood coloured girls.
valeriebutterley
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby bigyetiman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:16 am

You are doing a great job with Bonnie, and you obviously have a good vet that knows a bit a bout hens.
Rambling, OH does it all the time about the girls in fact people enquire after them first then add " how are you"
No good telling them you are cross with them valeriebutterly, because they have imbibed that immortal line from Gone with the Wind "frankly my dear I don't give a damn"
bigyetiman

Postby Marigold » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:33 am

All of mine have taken a holiday from laying, except the little blacktail, who soldiers on regardless into her second winter. I thought even she had stopped when several days went by with no eggs, until I needed to top up the Aubiose in the coop and found 5 brown eggs snuggled in to the open top of the bale. She seemed equally impervious to praise as the others are to exhortations to get going again, although yesterday there was a tiny wind egg as well, from one of the leghorns, so maybe her system is cranking up after her moult.
Marigold

Postby rick » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Quick update - Bonnie is now back up to 2.5 kg (at her lowest she was 2 kg) and her temperature has dropped to normal. Its very funny trying to take the temperature of a wriggling Orpington - you know there must be a vent under that billowing cloud somewhere!
Can't remember when we last had an egg but, in theory, we should have a plentiful supply in the not too distant. Will be interesting to see if Aerial (blacktail but about a year older than yours I think Marigold) lays again this spring. She was unwell with the food poisoning thing and has moulted since but hadn't laid for quite a while before. Barely stopped last winter.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby rick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Bonnie has laid a perfect pinky/brown egg today - shell like bullets - first of the season! Hanging up a corn-on-the-cob tomorrow to celebrate :)
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Icemaiden » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:12 am

That's great news Rick.
Well done Bonnie! :-)08
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Icemaiden

Postby bigyetiman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Well done Bonnie.
Our 6 year old Bluebell laid an egg today and didn't we all get to hear about it
bigyetiman

Previous

Return to Chicken's Health