Contaminated eggs

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Marigold

Contaminated eggs

Post by Marigold » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:01 am

Eggs withdrawn from sale contaminated with Fipronil, (Frontline.) I expect the problem is quite common in commercial eggs.
Best to grow your own, I think - and to use other methods than spot-on to treat parasite infestations.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... dal-widens
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Contaminated eggs

Post by bigyetiman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Read the article as well. If you grow your own you know exactly what has happened to it, be it animal, vegetable or mineral, although it is not an option for some people.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Interesting to read this having seen many forum topics on using frontline for chickens over the years with people advocating it's use, I will add that I have never been in favour of using it. Had a quick google search and after just running through four threads I had read three containing posts from people claiming that fipronil doesn't enter the bloodstream so doesn't effect eggs and therefore doesn't have a withdrawal period, two of these claimed they had got this information from their vets. If it has been detected in eggs then that clearly can't be the case and yet again makes you wonder about the vets.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:08 pm

I've never read anything that suggests fipronil doesn't enter the hen's bloodstream and hence into the egg, although there has been some controversy about how long the withdrawal period should be after treatment and before eating the eggs. I think that on here we've always advocated extreme caution about its use. I suppose it's OK to use it on pet birds where you're not ever going to eat the eggs anyway, but along with antibiotics, I wouldn't ever consider using it on my flock.
I notice the Guardian article mentions 'red lice' - is this a new hybrid of redmite x chicken lice? Or just an author who knows little about keeping poultry?
RichmondHens
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by RichmondHens » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:45 am

I was just about to post this .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40841411

.... when I saw your post Marigold.

I have been banging on for years about the risks of using Frontline on chickens and at various times have been poo pooed by those who think they know better. I also wrote to Victoria Roberts about it and she agreed with all I said and her reply was published in a smallholding magazine some years ago.
Hopefully now people might start taking notice.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:14 pm

The thing about these spot on treatments are that you need to be careful with them, even with dogs/cats. I know that some of the ones suitable for dogs can cause severe illness or even kill cats. Which is why I'm not a fan of using them on chickens.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Now it's possible some of the eggs may have been on sale, or used in commercial food production, in the U.K.
300,000 Dutch hens have been culled unnecessarily and some poultry farmers face ruin.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... k-eu-warns
I'm glad I not only know where my eggs come from, (70 steps from the kitchen) but which hen laid each one, and what it was made of.
RichmondHens
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by RichmondHens » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:09 am

It's ridiculous to cull the hens. They are not infectious. Why can't the farmers wait through the withdrawal period then start collecting the eggs again?
Icemaiden
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Icemaiden » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:06 pm

I understand that a lot of the birds that've been culled were meat birds, so the egg withdrawal period wasn't an issue. The only consolation that I can draw is that all of these birds would probably have been culled at 6 weeks of age anyway, to go into ready meals & to provide cheap tasteless meat, so they've not died much sooner than they would have done anyway.

If these birds are being reared in huge barns & despatched at 6 weeks or so, I'm surprised that the "farmers" don't just jet wash or steam clean the buildings between batches to get rid of red mite. No need for Fipronil that way...
Last edited by Icemaiden on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:17 pm

I wonder how they applied it? Fipronil is Frontline, which is usually applied by individual spot-on to each bird or dog etc. Surely this wasn't practical with industrial numbers of birds, but if they sprayed it around they would have had to use a very high dose to get it to wet the feathers down to the skin where it would be effective. There's also a long withdrawal time on meat from treated birds, so it's not just eggs potentially at risk.
There was some bloke on the telly yesterday trying to 'reassure' people that it was perfectly safe to eat the contaminated eggs and there was absolutely no need to worry, despite the same item reporting the possibility of damage to your kidneys, liver etc from ingesting Fipronil!

Return to “Chicken's Health”