4.5 year old ex-batt slow, lethargic, not eating

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
GemmaEllen
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: 4.5 year old ex-batt slow, lethargic, not eating

Post by GemmaEllen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Looking into Peritonitis, I should add that Maggie stopped laying about a year ago, along with Gracie. She has laid a couple of lash eggs since then, but nothing this side of Christmas, and was in seemingly good health until a few weeks back.
GemmaEllen

Post by GemmaEllen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:30 pm

OK, After some further research, I have ruled out Peritonitis. Maggie has no swelling that I can feel, and I checked her abdomen against Rosie (our 8 month old, smallest girl) and they are the same. Thanks for checking though!
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:16 am

Looking at the poo on the floor I think sour crop may be a possibility, in which case water only for 24 hours until the crop clears completely- this may mean giving water carefully by syringe. Things to avoid are sugary foods (apple, cherries etc) as it promotes bad bacteria in the crop and gut- an emergency dose of Avipro Avian will sort that out. Also avoid soft fruit as it can very quickly rot in the crop leading to sour crop. When treating sour crop we use AA solution instead of just water.
GemmaEllen

Post by GemmaEllen » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi Chrismahon, Thanks for the input. Maggie had sour crop last year and I know the symptoms - it's definitely not sour crop, but I see why you might think that.

Unfortunately, we lost Maggie last night. She was a very old lady by ex-Batt standards, and I'm pleased to say she went peacefully in her sleep, surrounded by her sisters.

We'd had a lovely day yesterday, and she'd seemed really happy. more energy than she'd had in a while, and she 'helped' me move all my plant pots, cleaning up all the bugs she found underneath - perhaps the most I'd seen her eat in weeks. We spent some time sitting on the lawn enjoying the sunshine, and she tucked into her usual cucumber, but it was obvious by the end of the day that she was very tired. When it came to bed time, she'd not made it up the ramp to the coop, so DH and I helped her up, both seeming to know that she wouldn't last the night.

I'm devastated - having lost both my 'original' girls now it's officially the end of our first chicken era. I'll miss her and her silly ways, but I know we did everything we could to make her life with us the happiest it could be, and I know there was nothing we could have done to prevent what was just her time.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me through the various ups and downs we've had with our first girls. Owning chickens is a steep learning curve but its worth every sleepless night and I know that our next generation (Rosie and Pepper!) are already loved just as much, so the cycle continues....
LadyA
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by LadyA » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Sorry to hear, but as you said, she was a good age for an ex batt, and she'd had a good life with you.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:29 pm

GemmaEllen wrote:...having lost both my 'original' girls...
I know just what you mean - not that later ones are any less loved but you go through such a journey with your first hens.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi Gemma Ellen.
Sorry for your loss- two of our four hens have passed away in similar circumstances in the last month, so I can imagine how you feel.

Still, it's nice to know that she enjoyed three years of blissful retirement that she wouldn't have had otherwise, thanks to your taking her in. It's got to be better than being turned into cat food or stock at 1 1/2 just because their egg laying is slowing down slightly.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Peritonitis is an infection that affects the abdomen area in hens and is sadly common in hens with a high yield. Instead of the egg forming and being laid in the normal manner the material collects in the abdomen without being reabsorbed and becomes infected.
Sadly culling the bird is the best option, especially as you don't want them to suffer.
Good luck with her she has had a good life with you

Return to “Chicken's Health”