Bird Flu Alert - keep poultry under cover, DEFRA.

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: Bird Flu Alert - keep poultry under cover, DEFRA.

Post by chrismahon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Not sure what they are doing with the slaughtered birds Icemaiden. They did announce early on that they were still fit for human consumption though!

Chap interviewed yesterday said he was switching from ducks to raise chickens for meat. They are being compensated €8-€10 per bird and converting his facilities and buying in chicks was what he was going to spend the money on. He said that in the last year he had worked 7 days a week and had earned absolutely nothing because all his birds had been slaughtered twice, so perhaps they are not going for human consumption?

Surprising really, because the perception here is that the H5N5 virus found in ducks and geese won't be transferred to chickens. I think it's the H5N8 virus in the UK, which is the strain they had in Southwest France last year and it affected ducks, geese and chickens. This year farms with ducks and chickens are only having their ducks killed.
Roisin
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Roisin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Just seen this advert for the Bristish World Homing Show (pigeons) in Blackpool. http://www.rpra.org/show-of-the-year-2017-gala-evening/ There's an article about it in the Guardian as well. why do we have to keep our birds under cover if they still have bird/poultry shows?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:05 am

The National news says the number of Communes now affected by compulsory slaughter of their geese and ducks in Southwest France has today been increased from 187 to 337. That may take the number of birds killed to well over 500,000? I'll see what the regional news says at lunchtime.

Regional news said nothing at all, perhaps because it's so bad for the Region it's best swept under the carpet?
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 pm

The rationale behind CO2 mix gassing is that it is more humane than killing the birds after electrified water bath stunning. The argument goes that the birds don't have to be uncrated and then hung upside down before being passed through an electrified water bath which doesn't always do the job.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Latest update on Bird Flu restrictions. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influ ... ruary-2017
Good news for some, but have a careful look at the map after you've put in your postcode, to see whether, like me, you're still in a high risk area where restrictions continue.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Out of curiosity I had a look on the map Marigold. Seems we would have been in a high risk area and have had to keep them in confinement. Of course we don't know what will happen here next year- may be same as 2016 when we had H5N8 (H5N5 this year) and they all have to stay under cover?
rick

Post by rick » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Were in the clear - Woohoo! (well just 'high' risk and not 'higher' risk anyway)
I remember you saying about the free range industry Marigold. Looks like they have got round it for most by defining these fairly complex areas. Couldn’t have happened without the internet.
I guess Wales will have to come up with a similar scheme very soon or do something more general as it has been up till the 28th.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:02 am

News report here yesterday (which I think I have translated correctly) says they have identified the source of the H5N5 outbreak which has resulted in perhaps half a million ducks and geese being slaughtered. A hatchery in the Tarn, which is outside the affected area, sold infected chicks to three farms in our area. The infection in those three farms was then spread by feed delivery lorries to the whole Region. The hatchery is to be prosecuted and quite rightly so. The bill for the slaughtering operation and compensation to the farmers is €30 million I think?
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:40 am

So how were the chicks infected? Is the virus carried in the egg, as presumably the chicks had no contact with wild birds? More likely a slip up in biosecurity and it came in via the human route, I suppose, on shoes etc.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:17 am

Perhaps the breeding stock was infected and it was then transferred to the chicks by contact from the workers Marigold? Don't know if it transfers in the egg though, although some viruses do?

Return to “Chicken's Health”