Bird Flu Alert - keep poultry under cover, DEFRA.

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Roisin
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: Bird Flu Alert - keep poultry under cover, DEFRA.

Post by Roisin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:00 pm

I meant to say not finished but usable. Of course I tacked wire mesh over each pallet.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Another outbreak in a backyard flock in Yorkshire
;
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avia ... -yorkshire

And also at the Abbotsbury Swannery in Dorset, sadly.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ery-dorset
This is a problem because there are hundreds of swans that breed there, and they can't be confined because they're wild birds.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:28 pm

More developments. The slaughter area has been enlarged and now 300,000 will be killed. The number of affected communes (surrounding villages) is up from 149 to 187. There have been 87 cases of H5N8 detected here in the 4 far Departments of the Southwest . The virus that resulted in the mass slaughter last year was H5N5, so nothing to do with that except that the biosecurity measures introduced after that outbreak haven't worked this year.

So far no chickens affected in this region and no measures introduced. I have also heard that they interrogate the local feed suppliers to get lists of customers, so even if you don't notify the authorities if required to, they will still track you down if you buy recognised poultry feed. Law here is that all records of purchases must be kept for 5 years. Worrying times!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:31 pm

We don't hear anything in the UK from DEFRA about the situation in Europe, or these mass culls. In fact, I expect there are hundreds of people in the UK with just a few pet birds in the back garden who haven't heard anything about the present regulations for confining birds, or who just think it doesn't apply to them. There was a post last week on another forum from someone who had just had two of her three hens die, asking what to do about the remaining oldie, a bird 8 years old. Would her quality of life be better if two new ones were introduced, or 'will she just be happy to continue free ranging in the garden with the wild birds for company?" And anyone who bothers to join a forum and ask for help with aged hens is obviously not one of those ignorant keepers who aren't bothered about their birds.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 am

This link about the progress of the annual strains of bird flu in both animals and humans makes interesting reading. Unfortunately it only goes as far as 2012, so doesn't contain any evidence about the current strain. However, it does make it clear that the earlier outbreaks in Indonesia and the Midddle East were largely centred on family groups, probably people keeping the equivalent of our backyard chickens for eggs and meat. Mortality rats were around 60%. The risk of infection from close contact with poultry is very low with the current strain, but the danger lies in the possibility of it mutating, as it could easily do if, for example, a person with seasonal flu was exposed to the HN virus at the same time. Unlike seasonal flu, HN is not transmitted via infected droplets from coughing and sneezing, apparently it gets deep into bronchial passages through inhaling infected dust from dried bird droppings, so keepers of poultry are in the front line, especially if they have lowered immunity levels for reasons of age or other medical conditions, eg asthma ec. Research has shown that it was most probably a mutated HN strain which caused the worldwide flu pandemic in 1918, which killed more people than the 1st world war, including the young and healthy, so it could happen again. The link also shows that mammals fed with infected bird carcasses have died, eg cats eating wild bird corpses, and tigers in zoos ec. Scary stuff.
See http://www.who.int/influenza/human_anim ... update.pdf
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Would it be tempting fate to say that it looks to have levelled out over the past week - Probably so I didn’t say that!
I found this leaflet from DEFRA
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 170106.pdf
Its good to note that they talk a lot about reducing stress in the current situation and recognise that complete enclosure may be desirable but not always possible.
Apparently there was a H5N8 (same strain as now) outbreak in Ireland in 1987 that was pretty devastating to poultry but at that time. Very pathogenic to turkeys but it couldn’t be induced in laboratory ducks. Obviously not the case now!
Icemaiden
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Icemaiden » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:29 pm

I've just been reading a newspaper article about the mass culling of ducks in France by gassing with CO2. Apparently they were reared for the production of foie gras, so I can't help but feel that horrible though the cull is, they've got off lightly & that if it finishes off the industry, it'll actually be a good thing in this instance.

Apologies if this sounds terribly un-pc, but the fois gras industry is a terrible thing.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:01 am

I agree with you, Icemaiden about the industry that makes ducks suffer so, it must be awful to behold. No creature deserves to be treated so.

I could cry for my girls at the moment, no garden freedom, which is their greatest love! I have discovered a new treat for them which they seem to love, Wilko's wild bird fat balls. Only one at a time every other day, but they savage it in a great melee, mostly of huge black glossy bodies!!

It is the only time the Croads really move and assert themselves over anything, they are so relaxed, nothing much bothers them, even my very elderly, retired, having a sly but effective peck, Speckeldy, Jojo, is ignored.

The run is dreadful at the moment, with two very large puddles in it. I wish I could buy Croad Wellies.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:38 am

The fois gras business down here is based on very small farms with the ducks and geese free ranging. Whilst they may 'cram' the necks to overfeed them, other than that they live very natural lives, unlike battery and barn hens. Of course ducks and geese store their food in their necks anyway, so cramming isn't so unnatural. They don't just use the liver, the rest of the bird goes to market and is utilised. Duck breast here is particularly tasty (and expensive)- we had some on Sunday! It was lovely to see flocks of ducks and geese in the fields sun bathing, but now that has gone here. Production in the rest of France continues of course, although they may keep their birds in sheds because of the weather.

Not sure they do gas them with CO2 Icemaiden? It is effectively suffocation, so not a quick end at all.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:02 am

The news link that talked about gassing with CO2 was from one of the UK broadsheets Chris- I found it by following links from the article about Abbotsbury swannery on this thread. Perhaps they use CO2 so that the culled birds can still be eaten?
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)

Return to “Chicken's Health”