Bird Flu Alert - keep poultry under cover, DEFRA.

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
rick
Part of the Flock

Re: Bird Flu Alert - keep poultry under cover, DEFRA.

Post by rick » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:52 pm

How old are they when sold on Chris? Is there an equivalent of POL for ducks? (although I know they weren’t layers)

I'm just thinking they would need to be acclimatised before sale - outside maybe?
I’ve just realised how silly that suggestion is having seen ducklings following their mothers in the water the day after hatching! Doh!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Ducklings hatched naturally and reared by their mother do swim almost immediately, but they are first waterproofed by her when she transfers oil from her preen gland. Ducklings raised in an incubator don't have this advantage, and take longer to develop their own preen oil. Consequently, if ducklings hatch in an incubator, or you buy them from somewhere that has done this, you need to avoid letting them swim when very young as they won't be protected from the cold and the effects of the water on their little bodies.
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Marigold wrote:...you need to avoid letting them swim when very young as they won't be protected from the cold and the effects of the water on their little bodies.
That's a gem Marigold! :)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:54 am

New bird flu outbreak in Suffolk - sad news. http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2017-02- ... be-culled/
With the Spring migration of birds from Africa about to begin, will the restrictions ever be lifted, do you think? It seems to me this disease is now endemic in the wild bird population, and there is little else that can be done to protect poultry flocks.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Economic considerations always win out in the end and given it would spell the end of the free range egg industry the restrictions will be lifted. But I agree the disease is probably here to stay now.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Restrictions in Wales are to continue until 30th April apparently after an outbreak in a back garden flock of chickens. They are asking everyone to register, regardless how few birds they keep.

We are right under the flight path of hundreds of migrating European Cranes, huge birds that can be heard from miles away. At the moment they are circling and climbing on the thermals. They must be very high as they have just flown over the Pyrenees which are over 3000m. Hope they don't drop anything nasty on us!
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:26 pm

The thing is, what is the purpose of the restrictions?, they are to stop the spread of the disease to free range poultry flocks whether they be meat or egg producing birds. If however they continue indefinitely then there will be no such thing as free range eggs and poultry and so they will be self defeating.
ColinB
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by ColinB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:33 am

Chris, I've just checked the Government web sites and maps and I can't find anything about extended restrictions in Wales. If you can link to anything then I'd be grateful.

If the restrictions do continue in their present form then I'm going to have to do some more building to give them more room. I might just have to give them access to the big shed (single garage sized) if I can move stuff out. They've got ~10 sq.ft. per bird at the moment, but nothing higher than ~20" outside of their coop. Ho-hum.
Col
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Well, I suppose that, at least, keeping them under some sort of cover which excludes wild birds is good in some ways - it should reduce the incidence of red mite, if housing etc is clean and free from it before the weather warms up, plus protects against various other wild- bird-borne parasites and viruses apart from bird flu.
ColinB
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by ColinB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:52 pm

There's a Flyte so Fancy page of info and link to an inter-active map here.

Looks like I'll be OK after the 28th unless DEFRA change their minds.
Col

Return to “Chicken's Health”