Eggless wonders

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Marigold

Re: Eggless wonders

Post by Marigold »

Please test this out and correct my maths, (never my strong point) if I’m wrong as it sounds a bit incredible.
3-kilo hen lays a 60-gram egg most days = 5% of her body weight.
5% of the body weight of a 63.5kilo person (10 stone in old money) = 3.15 kilos.
Would you fancy laying a 3.15kilo egg every day?

An ostrich egg weighs 1.5 kilos.
No wonder hens go off lay when it’s hot, or when moulting, it’s just amazing that they keep that up normally for weeks in end.

See also http://safariostrich.co.za/2017/09/the- ... the-world/
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

Good grief! The little things deserve medals! We had two eggs today, Skye and Izzie. I'm worried that Morag hasn't laid for days - could she be laying in the bushes? Sorry, silly question, obviously she could. The question should be, why?
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

dianefairhall wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:43 pm
Hi there, I now have this problem! For about a week now we have had varying numbers of eggs 0, 1 or 2 but not 3 for a while. They almost seem to be taking it in turns! I haven't changed their feed but they do seem to be off their food a bit. They usually come running when I go out hoping for treats but they mainly ignore me now.
Otherwise they seem as normal. They shelter in the shrubs part of the day and forage across the grass the rest of the time. They have started to go to bed earlier - they had been going to bed at 11pm and considering they are up again at 4am perhaps they were overtiring themselves. They certainly don't look ill at all but they are quite flighty and I can't get close. They are probably about a year old now. They all get on well and seem happy together. I think that's all I can tell you. Hope someone can help.
Hi Diane
I'm almost relieved you wrote this message. My hybrid ex battery hens have not laid an egg for 6 weeks... Barbie was like an egg laying machine so I found this very worrying for the first 2 weeks. One of my other hens, Mabel, who is about 16 months, has not laid an egg for nearly 3 weeks. Well, actually she laid one yesterday. The only hen laying is Miss Muffet who is the same age.
Barbie seemed to have missing feathers, wasn't moulting, that was last winter, I think she may have had lice? I treated them all for lice, disinfected the house etc and wormed them.
Sindy, the other ex batt, I think has sour crop, although the stuff that comes out when I tipped her to get rid of the watery fluid, doesn't smell. She might be coming to the end of her life. At least her 2 years with me have been good :-)
Anyway, I think it might be a culmination of things with mine, the heat being one cause, as Marigold has said.
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Sorry to hear your ex-batts are poorly, but as you say, you have given them a few years of freedom and care that they wouldn't otherwise have had.

We had two eggs again today, same two birds, Izzie and Skye. Morag hasn't laid for about a week now. I'm going to have to search the shrubbery which will be a pain in the back, not to mention the backside.

I have received a consignment of Green Giant sweetcorn today and they were delighted. Maybe it will get Morag laying again!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Don’t overdo the sweet corn! It’s very fattening and will not have the desired effect on egg production. Small treats of sweet corn, (or the dried maize ‘corn’ in mixed corn), are OK in moderation, but overdoing it can lead to them laying down fat round their ovaries, with dire medical consequences in middle age.
(A lesson to us all.)
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Thanks, Marigold, they do love it so much! I had started to give them the dried corn but they're not impressed and I thought they might be 'on strike' for their tinned corn!
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

Try treating yourself to some melon, then giving the skin to your girls. You'll be amazed at how little is left by the next day- their idea of "finished" is very different to ours!!
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Thank you - I'll remember next time I'm shopping. Two eggs again today, same two hens. Still wondering what's wrong with Morag.
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Two eggs again today, same hens. Morag hasn't laid for over a week now, and it's a lot cooler now. Is there anything else I can try. (Not that we need the eggs, 2 a day are plenty but I'm worried about Morag).
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

Hi Tweetypie.
I'd say it looks like a lash. I've had a couple over the years; the hens were none the worse for it.
A word of warning: RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO BURST THE LASH TO SEE WHAT'S INSIDE. I only did it once; it squirted me and the smell was beyond vile & out the other side:-(
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)

Return to “Chicken's Health”