Poorly Peckford - Any ideas please?

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Marigold

Re: Poorly Peckford - Any ideas please?

Post by Marigold » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:18 pm

Sorry to hera about Doris, but what a lovely way to go. When my time comes, I hope to spend the day running up and down the garden for fear of missing anything, and then go to sleep and just not wake up next morning.
Shadrach
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Shadrach » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:07 am

Sorry to read about Doris.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:30 pm

A friend of ours went in a good way. He had his Sunday roast and his wife asked if he wanted apple pie and custard, he said yes poured a glass of wine, when his wife came back in he was dead in the chair, massive stroke. Dreadful shock for her, but even she said it was a good way to go, as he had a horror of having some lingering disease.
Sandrine
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Sandrine » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:45 pm

I do share your ideas about a more pleasant way to go!

Booboo the girl I isolated with Peckford rejoined the flock a few hours later. She didn't really have a problem in the end - other than being greedy! I think this whole thing is making me paranoid and I see impacted crop everywhere lol

Peckford carried on declining on Saturday. I force fed him water (well actually cold mint infusion) on the Friday night, massaged his crop some more, tried to help him clear it, clean up his nose which was quite "green", and he was struggling to breathe. I only gave him mint infusion and grit, no food and left him as comfortable as possible on Saturday to rest, after cleaning him up again so he could breathe better. He really looked a ghost of himself and I thought he was not going to make it passed that day or night.
But he did! Sunday morning, he was awake early and definitely much perkier. He had colour in his face again, after having gone almost white on the Saturday. His nose was almost still clean. Really completely different! And he was really hungry as well, which was also good news because he's not eaten much at all...
He continues to improve, but I am still keeping him isolated for now. He had a roam in the garden with the girls this evening for a little while. They all ran up to him which was lovely to see. He is still quite weak though for now, despite eating again. He's not as sleepy which is also good.
Is there anything you would recommend I gave him to try and help him gain his strength and his weight back?
rick

Post by rick » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Wow! I don't think anyone will have seen that coming! His symptoms have been dire!
Nothing special required - good quality layers pellets made into mash, some yogurt to help with healthy gut bacteria (they will have been totally wiped out), some cabbage, a bit of scrambled egg is always a good pick me up - but mostly if he is eating again then fingers crossed for him being on the mend.
It sounds like a bacterial or viral infection that maybe he just managed to beat. Do keep him isolated until he is right as rain.

Mix scratch grain with the mash - as he is a fella it wont matter if the calcium levels are reduced. Actually I often do that for the hens with no effect but they do have oyster shell for a top up. Remember to give him grit.

My money would be on an air sac infection. He's lucky, very lucky if he has turned it around.
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Thank you Rick for that I shall do my best to give him all this to help him. I've let him have a roam again tonight as he is even better and also all day in a cage can't be fun for him or his legs. His tail is up, he's not gone to sleep in the middle of the garden , he's got good colours. He's even moaned at me when I was taking too long to put him down. I can't remember the last time he made any sounds! He's even ran up to some mixed corn. His nose is still a little runny but nothing like it has been.
Now his only problem (other than keep getting better) is Dodo one of the newer girls... She bullies him, and he's too gentle to retaliate...
rick

Post by rick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Glad to hear it all sounds so positive. Chickens have an incredible immune system (they need it) but are also very high performance in the respiratory department. All birds are (well most) with their air sacs, pump through lungs, hollow bones etc. It means that a respiratory infection can spread almost anywhere very easily once it gets a hold.
Bullying can drag a bird slowly down through stress (as can red mite etc.) The only fix I know of for bullies is having a run with an open ended screen or two so there is always a place to go out of sight of the oppressor but always with a way forward without getting cornered. Having a couple of feeding points a few feet apart is also good as no bully can be in two places at the same time! My CLB Mo is a bit of a crazy moody type who picks on my Orpington, especially on the perch. I've taken to having three perches parallel to each other and only separated by a few inches (not usually considered enough) but it gives them all enough options to avoid most of the roost time squabbles and that silly musical chairs game when they are all trying to be in the ideal order on a single linear perch (there never is an order that suits all!)
Anyway - Really good news for Peckford! Sounds like he may be due an upgrade fro 'Star' to 'Legendary' :)
Last edited by rick on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:15 am

rick wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:02 pm
Glad to hear it all sounds so positive. Chickens have an incredible immune system (they need it) but are also very high performance in the repository department. All birds are (well most) with their air sacs, pump through lungs, hollow bones etc. It means that a repository infection can spread almost anywhere very easily once it gets a hold.

Anyway - Really good news for Peckford! Sounds like he may be due an upgrade fro 'Star' to 'Legendary' :)
"Respiratory dept.?" Autospell strikes again!
rick

Post by rick » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Ooops!
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Lol on the autospell 😁

I think it's time for Peckford to rejoin the flock now. Still has a bit of a runny nose but it's not constant and his behaviour around the girls is much better, he walks tall again, doesn't fall asleep, doesn't fall over (bless him he was so weak on his first couple outings that he couldn't jump on the smallest border without falling over - his legs simply couldn't carry him). Dodo isn't interested in bullying him anymore either.
He's not really enjoyed the mash but he's been eating plenty again. So pleased with how he's managed to turn the situation around.
We have lost Booboo earlier this week too. She was falling asleep a lot the last few days, looking for places to hide in the garden. Still running up and down like Doris did . The colour of her head was changing constantly from dark red to pale pink but she seemed ok otherwise. I found her in the morning, still asleep, also just like Doris. She was tiny in comparison to the others, the same size as the 11 weeks old chicks we have. Like Doris she was 2 ½ years old. To be fair I've read in several sites that pekin frizzles might only live 3 years... I thought it was a relatively short life, but then they have laid a lot more than we expected (even in the winter, when the others stopped). Booboo has been Peckford favourite for a while as well, and she was often broody, so she's had a full life. Still breaks your heart though, doesn't it?

Return to “Chicken's Health”