Poorly Peckford - Any ideas please?

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Tweetypie

Re: Poorly Peckford - Any ideas please?

Post by Tweetypie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:10 am

I recall posting here last year for advice on Barbie, who was continuously sneezing, but otherwise had no other health issues. Since October last year, when I decided not to allow them free run of my garden through winter, it became apparent to me that Barbie was no longer sneezing. Took a few weeks to "click". 😏 That's the reason OH made them a large run. She must have been allergic to something in my garden.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Yes, that's another example of how sensible attention to possible environmental problems, and the willingness to 'wait and see what happens' can produce better results than a hasty visit to the vet. I'm glad they're all well and happy in their new run, Tweetypie. It must be good for the garden as well. Being an asthmatic, the grass pollen season is affecting me quite badly ATM, and there's no reason why chickens can't be allergic to dust in the same way. Difference is, chickens don't know how to use an inhaler!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10723
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Chickens get hay fever- some of ours are sneezing because of the lizard orchids. We know how potent they are because we brought some into the house and had to get them out very quickly!

Doubt a vet would know that.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:09 am

We have a hen that sneezes when it is dusty and she will also do it when scratching about in new straw. Bet most vets would say a chicken can't get hay fever
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:47 am

Yes, all is well with the girls and again it's great to have this forum for advice, especially for very inexperienced owners like me. The girls seem quite happy. They have 2 dustbaths, one is in full sun and the other in full shade. Paving slabs in 2/3 of the run and an area where I put fresh grass clippings once a week and clear out the same. The garden looks better now, too. 😁 I do miss seeing them roaming about, but the positives outweigh the negatives. At least I can watch the garden birds feeding.

Return to “Chicken's Health”