cockerel's comb gone floppy

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
chickenfan
Part of the Flock

cockerel's comb gone floppy

Post by chickenfan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:23 pm

My 4-year old cockerel's comb has gone floppy with the floppy bits discoloured (slightly purple) in colour. He is eating and drinking well. Not sure what could be wrong with him?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: cockerel's comb gone floppy

Post by chrismahon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 am

Could just be the time of year, or he is moulting, Chickenfan. Our straight combed cockerels all lost their shape in Winter and returned to normal in Spring. I suggest applying some vaseline to the comb and wattles- this will reduce heat lost as chicken's skin is porous and water is lost by evaporation through it, which has a cooling effect. This is a great mechanism in Summer but bad in Winter- so the vaseline blocks the evaporation and therefore the heat loss. Apply it once a week.
chickenfan
Part of the Flock

Post by chickenfan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Thanks very much for your advice and encouragement Chris. I'll try vaseline. He is not moulting and is not himself- very quiet and his eyes are pale. Its been terribly windy lately and some of the birds have had respiratory problems so it may be related to this, or perhaps he's anaemic for some reason.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:26 pm

The purplish tinge to his comb is a bit concerning, Chickenfan, as it may be a sign of heart problems, especially if he's not as active as usual and looks a bit anaemic. Not much you can do if that is the problem, except the TLC he's obviously getting.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:27 am

I agree with Marigold, but did not like to say so yesterday.
The purple tinges are an indicator of heart problems, but lets hope not, hope he recovers for you.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:25 am

I think too it could be his heart, especially given his age. 4 is elderly, in chicken terms.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:43 pm

I think it could be his heart also as that is an indicator a purplish comb. But it may just be the cold weather
chickenfan
Part of the Flock

Post by chickenfan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:30 pm

Thank you all. He has gradually gone downhill and looks really miserable so sadly a friend is going to dispatch him today - unless anyone has further suggestions
rick

Post by rick » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Oh dear! Poor little fella. Betty the CLB went down in a very similar rapid way and that was an acute respiratory infection from turf dust but heart yes, anything that causes blood oxygen failure.

Return to “Chicken's Health”