Weird growths on chickens face [pics] [UPDATES]

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Marigold

Re: Weird growths on chickens face [pics] [UPDATES]

Post by Marigold » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:40 pm

From the other side of the Atlantic, and not being a vet, and not having seen your birds, I can only advise about what I would probably do, from my own experience, so please don't take my opinion as more than just that of a friend who has kept chickens for a few years. Really, the only way for you to be more certain about the diagnosis is to take her to a vet who is experienced with chickens, specifically pet chickens rather than large flocks of commercial birds, and such vets can be hard to find here in the UK, let alone in the USA where distances are often so much greater.
From my own experience, I've found it's best to cull an obviously sickly bird who may be infecting the others, and as you become more used to keeping chickens you do get a sense of when it's kindest to let a bird go, or when she may pull round with a bit of TLC, as chickens sometimes do against all the odds. Personally I feel that, if I had a young Silkie from an unknown background with unusual tumours on her face, gaping beak, lethargic, off her legs and not eating, I wouldn't hang about hoping she would get better, I would cull her, or at least take her to my vet for diagnosis and possible euthanasia. But of course it's entirely up to you, and I really don't underestimate the difficulty of such hard decisions about a much-loved pet.
lilyolks
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by lilyolks » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Thank you so much. All of your help is very very appreciated. I'll talk to my family and ask their opinion, and do what we think is best for her. Thank you again.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Do let us know how you get on. Your birds are very lucky, to have found such a caring home.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:22 pm

I just looked at the video and I have seen this before when I was worried about Barbie. I think it is called "gaping" which is caused by gape worm. Due to other symptons, which Marigold has gone into detail over, it sounds like something more sinister than just worms. 🙁
lilyolks
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by lilyolks » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:26 pm

An update, we've quarantined her from the other birds and she's actually very p*ssed, lol :). Shes perked up a lot, and isn't laying down anymore and is making quite a bit of noise. She's definitely been drinking water, I just saw her peck at some food a little bit, and she's moving around a lot. I have an appointment with an experienced vet on Thursday. I hope she doesn't get much worse before then, but if she does, I will definitely bring her in beforehand.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:31 pm

You should have more of an idea what's going on by Thursday, good idea to quarantine her. Good luck, let us know how she goes.
rick

Post by rick » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:49 pm

It does seem (and I know nothing about silkies except what I glean from trawling images) that silkie cockerels have 'walnut' comb and wattles so some early pits in them wouldn't seem impossible. I'm hoping Chris is right on this.
Mine (various) gape a bit sometimes and on occasion. They do seem to do odd stuff particularly when your watching them! A chicken's weight can tell a lot and that is usually the first thing a vet does. If you can weigh him/her and compare to others - a cockerel should be weighing a little on the heavy side I think and if not seriously underweight then that may be a positive sign.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 am

He/she does look a bit unstable? Gaping like that can be (and most often is) a crop problem- a hard crop caused by eating too much rather than drinking which then sets food into a lump which won't shift. The gaping is accompanied by movement of the crop in an attempt to break the lump up. If it is a crop impaction the unsteadiness will be due to a lack of food, as the crop is full but nothing is being digested. Check the crop is empty in the morning otherwise give only water and lightly massage until the lump breaks up.

Return to “Chicken's Health”