Light Sussex has given up preening

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.

Light Sussex has given up preening

Postby Icemaiden » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 am

Heidi, my Light Sussex, seems to have given up on personal hygiene over the last month or two. Dust bathing now just consists of sitting on the soil & I haven't seen her preen in ages. Consequently I've been having to dust her with anti louse powder & diatom to try to control her poultry louse population & her feathers are dry & tatty.

Is there anything else that I can do that'll help? I'm in two minds about giving her a warm bath, as she won't re-oil her feathers without preening... :-)19
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Icemaiden
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Light Sussex has given up preening

Postby chrismahon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:42 am

Check her preen gland for swelling Icemaiden. Sometimes they block up, swell and get tender and need a warm water compress applied to them.

Could be she is ill and should get a thorough check. What are her poos like? Is she eating? Is her crop empty at night? Swollen abdomen? Mouth and throat free of cankers?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Icemaiden » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi Chris.
Her poo is normal & her bottom clean. She's eating normally, though her weight is up & down. I'll have to check her mouth and throat; it's not something I regularly think to check.

She seems happy, though she's definitely slower walking than she used to be & sometimes​ droops her left wing. (I hope I've not hurt it while dusting under it...)
Icemaiden

Postby Icemaiden » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:47 pm

Oh, & her preen gland feels normal to me & she doesn't seem bothered when I tweak it to remind her that it's there ;)
Icemaiden

Postby chrismahon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 am

Could be she's just getting old Icemaiden? We have several that would be described with the same symptoms, but there is nothing at all wrong with them. We have a 7 year old Wyandotte who grew the scruffiest feathers we've ever seen- looked like something had eaten them, but a thorough check revealed absolutely nothing and she is still laying. But no preening- we've put it down to genetics.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Icemaiden » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 am

Fair enough then Chris; I'll put it down to age & just keep dusting​ her with anti-louse powder as required.
Getting old has got to be better than the alternative... :roll:
Icemaiden

Postby Marigold » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Icemaiden wrote:Fair enough then Chris; I'll put it down to age & just keep dusting​ her with anti-louse powder as required.
Getting old has got to be better than the alternative... :roll:

I'm certainly finding it so, Icemaiden. Might give the anti-louse powder a go, if it's helpful in rejuvenating....
Marigold

Postby Icemaiden » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:33 am

If you don't mind having a preen afterwards (maybe with body lotion if you can't reach your preen gland with your beak ;) ), I'd recommend getting someone to stand you in a bowl of warm water & sploosh you down Marigold :D

It did wonders for Becky...
Icemaiden

Return to Chicken's Health