I am the waterfowl mod here on the forum, but need some advice on turkeys! I am looking to take on 3 brown female turkeys as pets. I have various places they can be housed, but I have a few questions if a turkey expert can help!
1. I have read that due to blackhead, chickens and turkeys should ideally not be kept together. My pen of choice (safest), houses 10 chickens and 2 muscovies, its a very large orchard style pen. Is it a hard and fast rule that they can't be kept together, or with good management and regular worming, can they live together with separate night time accommodation?
2. I have also read they fly well. My second pen of choice has 6 foot fencing all around, again a very large space in the middle of a 14 acre field. Will they fly over 6 feet or would I need to clip them? The area also houses a vegetable garden, how determined would they be to get to the veggies that are growing? If determined, whats the best way to keep them out? I assume a high fence.
3. Both pens are surrounded by electric fencing, I don't plan on shutting them in at night, just giving them somewhere to go inside if they want to, are they sensible enough to take shelter at night.
4. How do they cope in the winter, do they tend to hang out somewhere warm inside, or are they quite bold and hardy?
5. If they have a large pasture area, what and how much/often would they need in the way of supplementary feeding?
6. Any other hints much appreciated!