Breed of the month suggestion April - Faverolles

Discuss a new breed every month. Tell us what you love or hate about a breed. Vote for the next 'Breed of the Month'

Breed of the month suggestion April - Faverolles

Postby foxy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Faverolles....

As the name suggests these are a French bird originating in a small village called "Faverolles" located in northern France. Faverolles were originally only available in Large, now however all the standard colours are available in bantam also.

There are many debates around the origin of the faverolles but I think the consensus is they are a mixture of Dorking, Brahma, Houdin and Cochin, the asiatic cochin was brought in later, when these breeds became all the rage in Europe and blended well with the backyard typical French breeds. This combination worked well to create a useful table fowl as well as good layer of medium tinted eggs.

Faverolles came to the UK in 1886 where it was used commercially for a while as a good egg layer, however primarily as a meat bird. These qualites remain key today, and although a beautiful bird in the garden and on the show bench, it is important to recognise that the Faverolles are first and foremost a traditional meat bird,it is important to consider these qualities in type when breeding. A heavy, wide shouldered solid bird with good weight is preferred.

Appearance

The standard colours are Salmon, Black, Blue, Ermine, Buff, Cuckoo and White with the most popular colour being salmon. Another colour you might see is blue salmon and also Splash although yet to be standardised.

The salmon cockerels are a lovely contrast to the hens having a black breast, mahogany back chestnut wings compared to the softer warm, salmon and creamy white breasts of the hens. A faverolles flock would look lovely in anyone's garden.

Physically the faverolles should have a "cloddy" appearance, demonstrating their dual purpose origins. They should have a fifth toe turned up at the back of the foot. Fluffy feet (although not cochin-like please!)and muffling and beard -with the beard nice and full, separate from the muffling. Backs should be long, with a deep keel, they should be a good weight, not fat but firm again demonstrating their utility meat birds roots.

Nature

The large version only "play" at being broody and that may last a maximum of a week in my experience before they get back to the business of laying eggs! Bantam faverolles do go broody and will happily sit then mother their clutch once hatched.

Faverolles have a gentle demeanor, and a lovely docile nature, with a bit of handling easily become quite tame.

I would watch them in a mixed flock however, as because they are great softies -may be bullied by more gregarious breeds.

Some photos of Faverolles for you to enjoy!

boy.jpg
boy.jpg (101.18 KiB) Viewed 5548 times

salmon.jpg
salmon.jpg (72.09 KiB) Viewed 5548 times

blue.jpg
blue.jpg (66.32 KiB) Viewed 5548 times

Ermine.jpg
Ermine.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 5548 times

black.jpg
black.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 5548 times
foxy

Re: Breed of the month suggestion April - Faverolles

Postby Lordcluck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Very informative, thanks Foxy!
Lordcluck
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby kegs » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 am

Lovely photos. I particularly like the cat on the grass pretending to be a Salmon Fav!!

I can feel the incubator calling and the black Faverolles look too tempting. I know this is going to be a silly question so apologies in advance, but are the other colours (black, ermine) easy to sex as chicks?
kegs
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby foxy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:14 pm

kegs wrote:Lovely photos. I particularly like the cat on the grass pretending to be a Salmon Fav!!

I can feel the incubator calling and the black Faverolles look too tempting. I know this is going to be a silly question so apologies in advance, but are the other colours (black, ermine) easy to sex as chicks?

It is not a silly question at all. The strain of blacks I have seem quite obvious at around 3 weeks, the boys having stronger legs and the combs become evident, feathering is much quicker with the pullets as well,he boys taking ages to feather up, I will pop some photos on later for you. I can't speak for other strains of black faverolles though.
foxy

Postby chrismahon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:08 pm

That's great, thanks Foxy. Could see the fifth toe on one of the photos but can't remember which of the derivative breeds also has a 5th toe in their standard. Is it Cochins?

Is the Petit Poussin recipe to follow?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Lordcluck » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 am

Foxy, do you know how the Salmon colour that Favs are so famous for came about? It's such a unique colour combination that originated with this breed, I wonder how it was arrived at from it's Cochin/Brahma/Dorking/Houdan background?. . . . .
Lordcluck

Postby foxy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Lordcluck wrote:Foxy, do you know how the Salmon colour that Favs are so famous for came about? It's such a unique colour combination that originated with this breed, I wonder how it was arrived at from it's Cochin/Brahma/Dorking/Houdan background?. . . . .

Very interesting question! A difficult one to answer without a great deal of speculation..my thoughts are, from what I know is that the salmon is basically wheaton being sexually diamorphic (wildtype) Now as the original faverolles were salmon, I am thinking that the basis of this colour is probably French,from the original backyard breeds, therefore possible links in the distant past to the birds brought in from the Roman Empire?
foxy

Postby Sue » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:25 pm

chrismahon wrote:That's great, thanks Foxy. Could see the fifth toe on one of the photos but can't remember which of the derivative breeds also has a 5th toe in their standard. Is it Cochins?

Chris, I think it's the Dorking who has a 5th toe. This was one of the breeds I was interested in before I had mine. Foxy will put me right if this isn't correct.

Foxy, does your cat think he/she is a Salmon Faverolle? Definitely well camouflaged!
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
Sue

Postby foxy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:46 pm

Sue wrote:
chrismahon wrote:That's great, thanks Foxy. Could see the fifth toe on one of the photos but can't remember which of the derivative breeds also has a 5th toe in their standard. Is it Cochins?

Chris, I think it's the Dorking who has a 5th toe. This was one of the breeds I was interested in before I had mine. Foxy will put me right if this isn't correct.

Foxy, does your cat think he/she is a Salmon Faverolle? Definitely well camouflaged!

Faverolles also have a fifth toe, and that is Remy Martin in the photo! Blends in well doesn't he? :D :D
foxy

Postby ncotb » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 am

Thank you for all the faverolles info foxy :D Really lovely piccies of your birds!
ncotb

Return to Breed of the Month