MARCH 2012 - Polands

Discuss a new breed every month. Tell us what you love or hate about a breed. Vote for the next 'Breed of the Month'

Re: MARCH 2012 breed suggestions?. . . . .

Postby Lordcluck » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:32 am

Sue wrote:
chrismahon wrote:Pretty birds and excellent photos. Bit too many feathers fom the neck up for my taste though.

Yes, we know you prefer the naked birds Chris!!!!!

Yeh well Sue, Naked chicks aren't always as hot as you think! but Hey! Whatever floats your boat chrismahon!!. . . :-)07 :o :D
Lordcluck
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby chrismahon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:44 am

Good grief Lordcluck. What on earth are they ? Posting photos like that will make a few people ill, even I feel a bit queasy !
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Lordcluck » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:35 am

From the sublime to the Cor Blimey!! 'Aint they Summat??!! They are a Broiler strain 'created' by Geneticists at the Hebrew University Jerusalem. Bred by crossing Naked Neck chickens with normal Broilers, and the progeny selected for increased feather loss.

They are intended for indoor intensive units in Hot countries, where feathered birds suffer in high temperatures, and expensive air conditioning units are required to maintain optimum growing temperatures. Their lack of feathers also make for easy processing!!

They are totally unsuited to outdoor life, have no protection from the sun or the elements, are at greater risk to disease borne by biting Mosquitos and midges, and are prone to Damage through pecking or scratching. Males have problems mating, as hens have no nape feathers to seize, and their balance is impaired through a lack of wing feathers to steady themselves during the act! and females are at greater risk to claw and spur damage from treading males.

Not much fun being a Naked Chicken! think I'd sooner be a Poland!!! :-)07 :D
Lordcluck

Postby Sue » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:38 pm

I am completely lost for words!!!!!

:-)07 :-)07 :-)07 :-)07 :-)07 :-)07 :-)07 :-)07 :-)07 :-)07

Never seen anything like that before except on someones plate! Somebody get them some clothes!!!!!!
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
Sue

Postby Lordcluck » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Hopefully they'll never ' catch on '!! Definitely a step to far in my opinion!! but then there are always those that are drawn by the weird and the wonderful. . . . .
Lordcluck

Re: MARCH 2012 - Polands

Postby polishlady » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:28 am

Lordcluck, what was the source for your information?
polishlady
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby polishlady » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:36 am

Lordcluck I should have been a bit more specific. What was your source of information about Polish?
polishlady
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby Lordcluck » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Various sources Polishlady? Wright,Weir,Tegetmeier, and various other Victorian Poultry Writers, there are also some Excellent European online websites dedicated to Paduan and Dutch Crested with references to the Breed's early history in Southern Europe.
Lordcluck

Postby Lotta3 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:30 pm

I've just been given 2 Poland bantams - white crested I think is the variety? will post better pics as soon as it stops raining for 30 seconds but this is one of them

Image Image Image

and looking for resources on how to care for them - if there is any special care needed? I am keeping them with 2 Pekins and a Light Sussex bantam that are from the same breeder and they already lived together and probably not adding any more to the group for quite a while. My large Fowl when I get them have a separate coop and run as I know with the Poland's lack of vision they can have problems.

I'm not planning on showing - is it advisable to trim their crest to give better vision until everyone knows each other? that way they can free range together once introductions are done
Lotta3
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby chrismahon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:48 am

I have read they are prone to being bullied because they have poor vision Lotta3. For that reason they should not be kept with other breeds, but if your little group gets on fine now they should remain fine. If there is a breeders club perhaps they can advise on trimming?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

PreviousNext

Return to Breed of the Month