breed for August, or perhaps septenber?

Discuss a new breed every month. Tell us what you love or hate about a breed. Vote for the next 'Breed of the Month'

breed for August, or perhaps septenber?

Postby animartco » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi All. I would like to learn more about Sicilian Buttercups (or perhaps Marsh daisies which I heard recently were bred from them locally?) I don't actually know anyone who is seriously breeding them. Do any members have Buttercups? If so, I would like to know the percentage of near perfect crowned combs you would expect to get in a well bred flock.
animartco
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: breed for August, or perhaps septenber?

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:05 pm

They are a lovely breed, I just don't know of anyone keeping them...

I have been very slack sorting out Breed of the Month - too much work and not enough play!

I will try to get something sorted out soon.
T
Tim

Postby chrismahon » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Breed for January 2012 -Transylvanian Naked Neck. PP are covering them in their buyers guide next month. The more I see of them the more I would like some. They are a Utility breed apparently and so cute. We've nearly got one -the hens have decided to eat Arnold's neck feathers. They were on Flubenvet and no treats and must have got bored. They will be introduced to a Grandpa's Feeder later so that will keep them occupied. Sorry -wandered off again.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Tim » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Ahh yes, this is something I really need to fix... the breed section has been forgotten about hasn't it.

I'm re-writing the Poultrykeeper site at the moment and it's taking all of my spare time - but what I thought was that it would be good to provide a sub forum for every standardised breed - so it would be possible to talk about specific breeds or look for stock / meet other breeders and so on. This would replace breed of the month...

The chicken breed section on the poultrykeeper site is the most popular page that's visited - so I could link from each individual breed page on there into the breed 'sub forum' page which would generate more interest...

I guess it will be January though by the time I get this set up - so perhaps I should try to get TNN set up first!

T
Tim

Return to Breed of the Month