Sultan - March 2011

Discuss a new breed every month. Tell us what you love or hate about a breed. Vote for the next 'Breed of the Month'

Sultan - March 2011

Postby Lordcluck » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:09 am

Might I suggest the Sultan as a candidate for Breed of the month?
The Sultan must be the breed that possesses the most ornamental features on one bird! Starting with its full and globular crest, a small, often barely visible horn comb,indeed some have no comb at all, full beard and 'whiskers', profusely feathered shanks and feet with five toes, and prominent vulture hocks ( long stiff feathers growing from the Hock joint).

The first official record of the breed in the UK, was an Importation of birds from Turkey, by a lady named Elizabeth Watts of Hampstead in 1854. These birds arrived from Constantinople, where the breed was the sole property of the Ottoman Sultinate, and called ' Serai Tavuk or Taook' which translates as ' fowls of the Sultan' and were kept as treasured ornaments in the palace gardens. There are records of a virtually identical breed named the ' Ptarmigan ' that were also exhibited for a time here, and were possibly derived from another unrecorded import of Turkish fowls, but these quickly died out.In it's early days in Britain, the breed was regarded as very much a 'Ladies' breed along with the Silky, and they were often kept alongside Silkies as a second variety.

Sultans, like Silkies, are a small breed of Large Fowl, weighing in at four to six pounds. The breed does have a bantam form more commonly encountered in the USA, and in either form it is most commonly encountered in White. Other colours do exist, most notably the Black, Cuckoo and Blue, and I know of one strain of whites that regularly produces Pyle marked birds! Although strictly an ornamental breed, Sultans are reasonable layers of large white eggs, and are not prone to broodiness.

Due to their heavily feathered legs and feet,Vulture hocks and full crest and beard, Sultans do not do well in open muddy conditions, and require dry covered runs to look their best. Exhibition birds need to be kept from prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, to prevent the yellowing of their white plumage. Because of their docility, indoor penning suits them well, where they are best kept on regularly changed, clean shavings to prevent staining of their feathers. Particularly heavily crested birds may benefit from a trim to improve their field of vision, especially in the breeding pen. Like all crested breeds, regular inspections of their crowning glory need to be made to check for parasites, and it's best to examine eyes, nostrils and ears on a regular basis for dirt or possible infections.
Sultans are classed as a rare breed, and few are exhibited at shows, although far more are kept as pets.

I have a great affection for this breed, but my own attempts to keep them for any length of time have always met with disaster! I have had them on two seperate occasions over the last twenty years, and both times my entire stock were wiped out by escaped Ferrets!
Last edited by Tim on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Copied and changed title to Breed of the Month.
Lordcluck
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Sultan - March 2011

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Congratulations Lordcluck..

I was very tempted by the other suggestions - and Sussex, Cream Legbar and Australorp all tickle my fancy - but you have given us some cracking information here and I think off the back of that, it is a well deserved win ;-)

I will have a hunt around for some photos to post but this isn't a breed I know much about...
Tim

Postby elmwood » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:09 am

A well deserved win, may we have some Sultan photos please.....
elmwood

Postby john2708 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 pm

hi i would just like to say i keep this breed and they are a real joy to keep i find them the most frendly out of all the breeds i keep. i dont show them just keep them as pets as i dont find as many eggs as i do from the other breeds and the cocks are all so alot more noiser i have found
john2708
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:40 pm

OK John2708 - I thought I had some photos but I don't.

If anyone has a photo or two, that would be good :-)08
Tim

Postby girlracer265 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:11 pm

i will wash my girls be4 phographing, they are filthy atm
girlracer265

Return to Breed of the Month