Russian Orloff - January 2011

Discuss a new breed every month. Tell us what you love or hate about a breed. Vote for the next 'Breed of the Month'

Russian Orloff - January 2011

Postby Poultrykeeper Admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:25 pm

The Russian Orloff is Breed of the Month for January 2011!

Well done Steve, if you PM me your address, I will send you a poultrykeeper keyring! :-)08

Tim.
Poultrykeeper Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggest or Start a New Breed of the Month Here...

Postby hannibal » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 pm

THE RUSSIAN ORLOFF. A very useful breed noted for its winter laying capabilities.Originating in russia/ persia. An elegant bird something between a game bird and say a lge soft feather breed.The females can lay between 200 to 250 eggs per year. The males although slow to mature make excellent table birds.
Alot of work is needed to bring this bird up to standards and also to give the bird the publicity that it needs to bring it back from the brink. The Orloff comes in a variety of colours that are not known here in england.
The most common colour being the spangled, other colours standardised for the orloff are Black, Mahogany, Black mottled, White, Cuckoo, and Creole. When thinking of trying out a new breed of poultry give the Orloff a go, you will not regret it!. Orloffs are said to need more attention than most breeds ,i personally have not found this . If you keep your stock free range around the farm or! as back garden pets they are very entertaining friendly birds, they also make excellent exhibition subjects once they are pen trained.
So if interested i can send you a link to participate in the orloffs future.
All the best
steve.
kopfstudieII.jpg
kopfstudieII.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
Attachments
zwerghenne.jpg
zwerghenne.jpg (14.77 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
o_hahn.jpg
o_hahn.jpg (10.84 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
Spangled-Orloff-Best-Rare-Breed-National-2010-4918.jpg
Spangled-Orloff-Best-Rare-Breed-National-2010-4918.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
www.faverollesandorloffs.co.uk
hannibal
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: Russian Orloff - January 2011

Postby pebojuno » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:50 am

Don't keep any Russian Orloffs myself but got chatting to a chap who came to buy some pekins from me last year who kept some- he said they were lovely birds which had a temperment between game birds (which he also had a few of) and large soft feathered breeds.
I really like the look of the spangled ones- they remind me colour wise of my speckled sussex :D There was a big article on them a while back in Practical Poultry magazine too which was interesting- think it had one on the cover too?
I keep breeding groups of cream legbars, chamois poland bantams, mixed pekins, silver lace wyandottes, speckled sussex and white orpingtons!
pebojuno
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby dorinda » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 pm

I have some spangled Orloffs LF - lovely birds, but nothing compared to steves which are awesome - especially as mine don't have much in the way of beards :oops: :oops: . I like them because they have character without being flighty - and this winter have proved to be by far the hardiest (and most foolhardy (spent everyday outside even at -17) and positivly relished the snow and harsh conditions :D My wish fir this year is that I manage to get some eggs from Orloffs WITH beards!!
Cochin Best of Breed -Scottish National 2010, 2011, 2012, Best of Breed Favorelles 2012, Best Opp Size Brahma, Best of breed Sabelpoot, best opp Sex, 1sts White German Langshan fem. Male Large Favorelles, and AOV Rare large - Male spangled Russian Orloff
dorinda

Postby jubilee » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:18 pm

Well if it's not my old pal with the big pants!! How ya doing Hannibal??
Nice birds as always hunny! :-)17

Love ya, Clarisse.XXX
Breeders of quality exhibition Orpingtons, in White, Jubilee, Spangled LF. And Chocolate, Jubilee, Spangled and Black Bantams.
jubilee

Postby hannibal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:55 pm

jubilee wrote:Well if it's not my old pal with the big pants!! How ya doing Hannibal??
Nice birds as always hunny! :-)17

Love ya, Clarisse.XXX

CHEEKY DEVIL. Just a note that the Russian Orloff Society of G.B is more or less up and running.
We will be haveing our meeting at the national on the sunday at 12 noon in room 3.
If you are interested please come along and see what its all about.
Oh and p,s Clarise, Im thinking of haveing an old friend for dinnerxx
www.faverollesandorloffs.co.uk
hannibal
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby jubilee » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:00 pm

:o :cry: If you ate me you'd be pretty podged!! :lol: :lol:
Good luck with the meeting mate. Hope all goes well. :-)17

JubesXX
Breeders of quality exhibition Orpingtons, in White, Jubilee, Spangled LF. And Chocolate, Jubilee, Spangled and Black Bantams.
jubilee

Return to Breed of the Month