Marans - December 2010

Discuss a new breed every month. Tell us what you love or hate about a breed. Vote for the next 'Breed of the Month'

Re: Marans - December 2010

Postby darkbrowneggs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:14 pm

foxy wrote:I have never had Marans, but I just love the colour of your DBE, real rich chocolate colour! Are they easy to hatch compared with paler egg breeds? I always thought that dark marans egg needed a bit extra tlc with humdity? :-)19

I tend to "hatch dry" now, and found I have more success than before when I followed the perceived wisdom regarding humidity. There are some hints and tips on hatching/rearing Marans on my website
http://www.darkbrowneggs.info

I just hatched out some very dark eggs and 5 out of 6 were successful, and I have even posted eggs to people with great success rates 15 from 18, and very often it is the beginners who do the best.

But whatever - I think the extra pleasure from collecting the lovely eggs is worth it, and of course as someone pointed out, they are always the easiest to sell. Most people are just amazed at the beautiful colour.

All the best
Sue
If you want to follow my travel journal see
www.theworldismylobster.org.uk
darkbrowneggs
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby foxy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Just had a look at your website...excellent, with lots of really interesting information and those eggs...wow!!!!!! :-)17 :D
foxy

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:08 am

To candle them, I turn out the lights in the room and with spinning the egg gently from side to side, you can see the content swishing back and forth. You can then see what is shell pigment versus what is inside (moving).
Tim

Postby darkbrowneggs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:31 pm

That's a good tip Tim. Thanks Sue :)
If you want to follow my travel journal see
www.theworldismylobster.org.uk
darkbrowneggs

Postby pebojuno » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:02 pm

Hubbie bought 4 copper black and blues as young chicks in a sale because he felt sorry for them- they were really ugly when they started feathering up- like crows- and they chased us all around the garden looking for scraps!
They ate anything in sight and by about 16 weeks old (when they went to their new homes)they had filled out and were beautiful birds - shame we don't have room for a few of them just for the eggs DBE- those eggs on your website are beautiful!
I keep breeding groups of cream legbars, chamois poland bantams, mixed pekins, silver lace wyandottes, speckled sussex and white orpingtons!
pebojuno

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:36 pm

OK.... so today whilst deciding what else I could eat out of the fridge before getting into trouble, I made a short film of one of my Copper Black Marans eggs hatching.

I have just uploaded to Youtube. The incubator is an RCOM Suro I was reviewing from Interhatch and I filmed it from the outside - it is excellent for viewing!

Oh and don't forget to turn on your sound... I added one of my favourite songs to it... I thought the "C'mon..." in it was appropriate!

I hope you enjoy it....

Tim
Tim

Postby Castle Farm » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:27 pm

I keep about 20 French Marans both blue and black Copper.

I have worked on the size for a number of years and finally got the rooster I was breeding for in a Copper blue.

I have selected the 4 best Blues for next season and with a bit of luck and if the genes nick I shall have some dual purpose to be proud of.

Cuckoo lay a nice egg but the true French Coppers are by far the best for colour.

Young Copper Blue pullet.
Castle Farm
Forum Contributor / Grower

Previous

Return to Breed of the Month