Marans - December 2010

Discuss a new breed every month. Tell us what you love or hate about a breed. Vote for the next 'Breed of the Month'

Marans - December 2010

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:18 am

So, the breed of the month for December is ... Marans. (That's with an 's' that often gets missed off ;) )

Marans are named after the town of Marans in South Western France. They are utility birds, they can be very good layers producing large brown eggs.

There are two standards that are generally used - French and English. The English standard calls for clean unfeathered legs.

There is some more breed information and some photos of Marans on the poultrykeeper site:
Marans Chickens page.

The Marans Club UK is also worth visiting (as designed and maintained by Darkbrowneggs on our forum!)

Do you keep Marans? Are they English or French Marans? What do you think of the breed?
Tim

Re: Marans - December 2010

Postby darkbrowneggs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Great Tim - that's lovely being able to discuss Marans. I didn't like to suggest it as I expect everyone has by now guessed that I am obsessed with them :shock:

I will see if I can attach the photo of the eggs I took this morning out in the last of the snow - hurray it is melting at last. :D I have been carrying water for over a week now as the pipes in the barn have been frozen solid, and even the cattle trough in there has ice so thick that when you break it there is hardly any water left in the bottom. But the girls - bless them are laying well, and I have even put a test batch into the inccy to see what fertility is like, and when I checked nearly all were fertile.

Does anyone else keep the clean legged English Cuckoo Marans?
Attachments
eggs dec 10.jpg
eggs dec 10.jpg (46.17 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
If you want to follow my travel journal see
www.theworldismylobster.org.uk
darkbrowneggs
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby podstable » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Yes DBEs --I always have a couple of Cuckoos in with my layers , hatched from neighbours eggs when I need them. Sadly following a fox visit she wont be able to give me anymore!!! They are lovely and I think very traditional looking birds. Mine are always inclined to get fat and lazy as they get older! Ros
podstable

Postby ncotb » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 am

Ive got one in my flock, hatched out of pot luck eggs in July & started laying about a month ago, shes a real sweetie. Will take some pics.
ncotb

Postby Blue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:24 pm

I have two black coppers (3 of the hatch turned out cockerels, so they had to go!) and a couple of cuckoos.
they are lovely, placid girls, one is quite "mature" the others this years hatch & are much tamer.

can't wait for spring when I hope to get plenty of deep mahogany eggs.... :)
Blue

http://blog.poultrykeeper.com/category/beas-chicken-blog/
newest = http://blog.poultrykeeper.com/beas-chicken-blog/2011-poultry-plans/
Blue

Postby victorias poultry » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:07 pm

Used to have alot of marans - french copper blue and copper black until mr fox took most of them, I now just have 3 girls. They lay lovely dark eggs. Their eggs always go first at the farmers market on a saturday morning!
victorias poultry

Postby foxy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:31 am

I have never had Marans, but I just love the colour of your DBE, real rich chocolate colour! Are they easy to hatch compared with paler egg breeds? I always thought that dark marans egg needed a bit extra tlc with humdity? :-)19
foxy

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:41 am

I've not had any problems hatching mine. They fly out compared to other (coloured eggs) I've hatched. Ros has hatched some from me too successfully.

They are harder to candle though!

My pullets have come back into lay again now - a little early, normally they don't start until end Jan. The light sussex are also laying the odd egg too.
Tim

Postby podstable » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Tims CBM chicks seem to be equipped with pneumatic drills--they just crack open shells ,quick dry off, dive into the food and water and GROW!!! Im sure they are the toughest things Ive ever hatched! Now laying lovely dark eggs already of a good size . One didnt hatch so well --took 3 days , had blue toes and needed ICU ! She lost all her toe ends , has no nails but because of all the TLC is really friendly (called Bumble as she sort of bumbles about) I think taking so long to hatch she must have been scrabbling furiously in shell and damaged her toes (looked gangrenous at first) of course all the others tried attacking her feet as they were a funny colour so I had to run second brooder just for her. I was glad they were just about all fertile as there was no way I could candle them at all! Lovely looking birds now . Ros
podstable

Postby Blue » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:53 pm

my two BCM girls.

we found the eggs struggled to hatch as the shells were so tough.
we lost all the cuckoos and a BCM, and the fertility wasnt very high either.
better luck next year!
Blue

http://blog.poultrykeeper.com/category/beas-chicken-blog/
newest = http://blog.poultrykeeper.com/beas-chicken-blog/2011-poultry-plans/
Blue

Next

Return to Breed of the Month