Serama - November 2010

Discuss a new breed every month. Tell us what you love or hate about a breed. Vote for the next 'Breed of the Month'

Serama - November 2010

Postby podstable » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:11 pm

I don't know anything about them but thought it was about time this was started off!!!!I have one Serama-----I inherited her (!) In the spring .She lays tiny eggs but does so most days.She sees off/outruns anY of the big girls when there is a worm to be had. I was worried re cockerels hurting her at first but she just sees them all off!!! She was broody in tHe summer , quite funny the chicks even though all bantams were soon bigger than her and she just sat on top of a pile of chicks all bigger than her! I would never have chosen one BUT she's great--if her 'owner' wantS her back--tough,she's not getting her!!!!Ros
podstable
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Serama

Postby foxy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Well....not my cup of tea (I expect you could fit one in a teacup!) as you've probably noticed I am partial to the big fluffies! :lol: :lol:
foxy

Postby podstable » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 am

They are not mine either Foxy !! But for a 'dumped ' bird shes actually very cute! I can see that they would suit the small garden urban chicken keeper as I think theyd be great pets> Ros
podstable

Postby foxy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:51 pm

podstable wrote:They are not mine either Foxy !! But for a 'dumped ' bird shes actually very cute! I can see that they would suit the small garden urban chicken keeper as I think theyd be great pets> Ros

Nothing wrong with being a "dumped bird!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
foxy

Postby podstable » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Very true :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
podstable

Postby victorias poultry » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:28 pm

I have never had a Serama (no not a name for an Italian Stallion Ros! ) :oops: but I am sure they are loely birds.
victorias poultry

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:40 pm

Well, in my wisdom, setting up a couple of new areas, (one called breed of the month), I made the forums only visible to the mods so I could test them out and get it looking right before we launched it....

and I forgot to make 'Breed of the Month' only visible to the mods.... :oops:

So a little disorganised and a little before time, here it is ;)

I know... head...desk... head...desk.

Shall we start with Serama then?? :lol:

You'll have to wait to see what the other new area is going to be!
Tim

Postby podstable » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:09 pm

OOOPs :oops: ---- I thought everyone was being too polite to start a topic--as no one else was I thought Id be brave and put something that I know nothing about at all!! Haa haa!! Ros
podstable

Postby ncotb » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:43 am

Have got 2 trios & a pair. hens are absolute little sweethearts. Boys a bit feistier. Will get some pics taken.
ncotb

Re: Serama - November 2010

Postby Lydia » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:27 pm

O.k,I know we are now in Dec,not Nov but thought I'd add a bit as i've got Serama,I do like the breed,although I love all chicken breeds.
I've got 7 serama,and yes,obviously their eggs are smaller,but,not that small compared with other bantam breeds.Also,if you enjoy hard boiled eggs,serama eggs are perfect for going whole into salads,or just having some ready hard boiled in your fridge for snacking ;) .
I have found them to be very tame and friendly,even my 3 cockerels.They will stand up for themselves if picked on I guesss,but I'd expect anyone to do that.
They are a bright,inquisitive breed,and the hens are always broody,and make excellent mothers.
As to mixing with larger birds,tonight when I shut my poultry up,one of my smallest serama hens was tucked under a cockerels wing asleep.Not a serama,but one of my Thuringian bantam cockerels,who is huge compared to her.
In the spring,I will need to keep my serama hens with other serama cockerels,as it is the mating with the larger birds that could cause injury.
The biggest problem I've encountered with serama hens has been when two of my serama hens lost their cockerel.They did go into mourning,the one I did successfully manage to accept another serama cockerel,the other hen has so far refused to mix with any cockerel,serama or otherwise and prefers to be a loner.
One of my young hens,did lay her first egg today.If I can manage to take a pic of her egg,I will post a pic on here as it is smaller than a grape.They quickly get larger,to be a viable size for incubating/eating.
Lydia

Next

Return to Breed of the Month