My Favourite Breed

Discuss a new breed every month. Tell us what you love or hate about a breed. Vote for the next 'Breed of the Month'

Re: My Favourite Breed

Postby MrsBiscuit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:09 pm

I saw some black Croads at the Fed a few years ago and thought they looked lovely, with such a U shape and proud tail carriage. Unfortunately OH disliked the feathery legs, but it was a few years ago now and perhaps he has forgotten...!

We have some unidentified fungsu growing all over a veg bed I spread with guano a month ago...it reminds me of a brown coloured rosecomb, the bottom knobbly bit :D OH was hoping that it is cauliflower fungus which is edible I understand, but I fear it will turn out to be something far more ordinary and unpleasant.
MrsBiscuit
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby valeriebutterley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:45 pm

........veg bed spread with guano. Yum yum!
valeriebutterley

Postby valeriebutterley » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:56 am

P.S. Mrs.Biscuit......

I have 9 LF black Croads, two have no leg feathers at all, a great showing fault, but it happens.
valeriebutterley

Postby Hen-Gen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 am

MrsBiscuit wrote:
We have some unidentified fungsu growing all over a veg bed I spread with guano a month ago...it reminds me of a brown coloured rosecomb, the bottom knobbly bit :D OH was hoping that it is cauliflower fungus which is edible I understand, but I fear it will turn out to be something far more ordinary and unpleasant.

Cauliflower fungus is quite common but is normally a parasite of the roots of conifers. So take care!
Hen-Gen

Postby Icemaiden » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Ooh. Does it kill off large Leylandii? Where can I get this fungus? :?
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Icemaiden

Postby MrsBiscuit » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:56 pm

As it happens our neighbour apparently deliberately killed off a row of young conifers planted by our predecessors :shock: but apparently he used some sort of weed killer/other dangerous substance rather than anything like cAuliflower fungus!

I feel I should also add the guano spread veg bed was/is lying fallow awaiting some Spring planting :D
MrsBiscuit

Previous

Return to Breed of the Month