Suggest a New Breed of the Month for July Here.

Discuss a new breed every month. Tell us what you love or hate about a breed. Vote for the next 'Breed of the Month'

Suggest a New Breed of the Month for July Here.

Postby Tim » Mon May 02, 2011 10:16 am

Please make your suggestions for July's Breed of Month here.

It's easy - post a good 'introducing post' for the breed and we choose the best as the breed of the month. We move your post across to start the new 'Breed of the Month' post for July next month...

The more information you can provide the more likely it will make it to breed of the month - don't forget a few pictures if you have them

If you get selected for breed of the month, we will also send you our limited edition poultrykeeper keyring too!

We only have a few of these left!

If there is more than one good entry, we will put it to the poll! If there are only suggestions and there's no useful information, we will chose the breed and then the best post in the actual breed of the month posts for the keyring. ;)

Good Luck
Tim

Re: Suggest a New Breed of the Month for July Here.

Postby tygrysek75 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi
I would suggest green legged partidge fowl (zielononozka kuropatwiana)-very old polish breed almost disapired but slowely back.Great breed lays very healthy eggs low in bad cholesterol and high in good cholesterol.Very smart foreging birds can go away from home up to 2km and back for rosting home.They decline was due to quantity eggs layed compering to comercial leyers,also bad in confind spaces.the flock should be kept up to 50 birds.Very hardy frost is not an issue for them as Temperatures in Poland can plummet to -30C.This breed is great to keep freerange and eats less of the food as forege so well.You can view the picture on http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt28 ... g&newest=1
The older I get the older old is.
tygrysek75
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby E3lx » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:09 pm

I would like to suggest wyandottes for the July breed OF THE MONTH :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D . They are kind, docile birds with good table properties as well as good laying ability. they are excellent broodies and make very good mothers. Click here for a picture and more information http://enisrarebreedchickens.wura.co.uk ... nice-bird/
You will never know
Unless you give it a go!!!

http://enisrarebreedchickens.wura.co.uk
E3lx

Postby Hen-Gen » Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 pm

I would like to suggest the Dominique. They are one of the oldest of the American breeds and though they once suffered a decline in numbers as the new hybrids became popular they are once again being kept through out the USA. They are a hardy and productive breed with barred plumage and layers of large, brown eggs.
As with all barred or cuckoo breeds if mated to a black cockerel eg Australorp, Jersey Giant or Minorca the chicks can be sexed at hatching as the cockerels have a white head spot so only the pullets need to be reared.
So all in all a practical and attractive breed.
Hen-Gen

Postby dinosaw » Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Well they are a new breed for me. I have to confess that if I hadn't just read about the differences on the back of your post I would have taken them for Barred Rocks.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby valeriebutterley » Fri May 19, 2017 8:42 am

May I suggest Croad Langshans, very large, very bright, extremely beautiful, good layers, and very well mannered.
All in all great girls to have around.
valeriebutterley

Postby Minorcafan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Minorcas for this month :-)
Minorcafan

Postby Minorcafan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Just acquired some bantam silver spangled hamburgs. Are they bouncy!! Very pretty (no idea how to do photos)
Minorcafan

Postby bigyetiman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Had to look them up Minorcafan, but they look lovely
bigyetiman

Postby dinosaw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Don't know if you are using mac or not Minorcafan, but if you are then this is how I upload.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9735
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Return to Breed of the Month