Bully drake

The place to discuss Domestic Ducks and Geese & Wild Fowl

Moderator: dorsetduckowner

Bully drake

Postby n_holzer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Hey I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice - so I posted a while back as I got two hen ducks for my mallard drake Albert, and he has really taken to one of them but is bullying the other and excluding her. When first introduced on neutral territory the crested bantam hen was hen pecking the miniature runner hen into picking on Albert, and he seemed quite frightened of them however over time he got used to them and has established himself as the dominant. He adores the runner girl and is always mating her, and when I pick her up he attacks me as he's very possessive and protective however when I pick the crested girl up he gets a little agitated but has pecked her face; I've seen him mate her too but only a few times and most of the time he just pecks at her and chases her away whenever she comes near. It really saddens me as I worry she feels lonely and excluded, and I certainly don't want her being unhappy. I got him two females as I didn't want him harassing just one during mating season, and I love my crested so really don't want to rehome her...is there anything I could try at all to alleviate the bullying? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
n_holzer
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: Bully drake

Postby dorsetduckowner » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:39 am

Hiya :)
Sorry for missing this post and the late reply, how are things with your little trio now?
Zo
x
dorsetduckowner

Postby n_holzer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:40 am

Hello sorry for my late reply! I was coming on here to ask for further advice about them. Albert is still bullying my crested hen, and stands over her whilst pecking at her head and yanking her crest and the other hen sometimes joins in by pecking and even simulating mating! I'm so confused as I got two purposely because everyone said to get a good amount of females per male so as to avoid over pestering one, and others have now said mallards pair. Can't help but feel I did the wrong thing :-(
n_holzer

Postby dorsetduckowner » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:45 pm

Hiya, and hello to Albert! This is quite normal, how much damage is being done to your crested girl? Is she showing fear behaviour? hiding? Quivering?
zo
x
dorsetduckowner

Postby n_holzer » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Hiya, she's always trying to join in and occasionally he lets her but most of the time he chases her away...when he does she runs away from him then slowly makes her way back. I wouldn't say she hides or quivers, and when he pecks her she lays in a receptive position as though she's allowing him to mount. She was foraging yesterday and he tried to go near her and she did like a feeding chuckle and he backed off. No real damage is done as he pecks at her crest but it's still really mean :-( it's usually when she goes near the other hen as though he's protecting his chosen hen.
n_holzer

Postby dorsetduckowner » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:12 pm

Sad to say this is so normal at this time of year. It will settle down after the breeding season, but will likely occur each year. Ducks can actually be really mean to each other! As long as she is still eating, drinking and getting to bath and isn't injured or too distressed, try and wait it out! I know its horrible to watch, its like one of your kids getting bullied in the playground.
dorsetduckowner

Postby n_holzer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:17 am

Well that's what I thought at first because of the whole mallard pairing behaviour but it's not really stopped during the year that I've now had them. We will hopefully be moving house this year to a place with a bigger garden so it may be that I have to have to separate areas for them and get the bullied hen another hen for company. It is very sad and yeah just like seeing your kid being bullied, I know in ducks it is a nessesarily behaviour but I do sometimes think Albert takes it too far! Thank you
n_holzer

Return to Waterfowl Forum