New to Quail

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

Katlin
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: New to Quail

Post by Katlin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:30 am

rick wrote:That's so cool Marigold. Hello World! Good luck Katlin with your venture.
Thank you Rick! Marigold is going to make sure I'm all ready!!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:40 am

Amazing videos of your skunk, Katlin. He obviously thinks he's a sort of cat. It was interesting to see him playing with the other two on their own terms,and I love his vertical tail and beautiful stripes. Do you have to have his scent glands removed, or is it all down to training? I bet there not too many house skunks living such a full and rewarding life as he is. Was he captive-bred? Is it easy to get a pet skunk in Arkansaw? I've never heard of them over here, except in zoos.
KittyKat
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by KittyKat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:08 pm

Hmm, Wikipedia says that it's illegal to keep pet skunks in Arkansas with a reference, would be helpful if you could update the page if that's not the case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunks_as_ ... ted_States
Kat
Katlin

Post by Katlin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:28 pm

Thank you! Archie is my love ♥ He is a wild born skunk. His mum got inside a local business and had her 4 babies. I happened to be at the store when they were found. I decided to take one home as I had a mama cat with 2 week old kittens. He was about one week old and weighed 2.68 ounces (76g) and nursed from that mama cat. He wasn't descented until he was 4 months old. You do not have to have a pet skunk descented, if you don't give them a reason to spray, they won't. They spray as a last resort. It is a life threatening defense. They will bow up, stomp their feet, huff and puff as warnings.

Archie could be the poster child for "tame the wild beast"! He is SO tame, ANYONE can hold him. He sleeps in my bed and snuggles up to me all night long. He is welcomed and loved at many businesses here and I take him anywhere that will let him in. There is a facebook group, Pet Skunks UK and I have many UK friends with pet skunks. My friend Pam and I have a USA Pet Skunks facebook group with over 200 members. No it's not easy to get a skunk in Arkansas as they are technically illegal to keep as pets. That law went into effect after I got Archie so I'm ok there. I work from home (I do customer service for AT&T) and Archie will come out and scratch at my legs, like a dog, for me to pick him up so he can sit in my lap.

Here is also a little ditty that a local radio station did that includes Archie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMHqVZghAx4. He is well known here!
Katlin

Post by Katlin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:32 pm

KittyKat wrote:Hmm, Wikipedia says that it's illegal to keep pet skunks in Arkansas with a reference, would be helpful if you could update the page if that's not the case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunks_as_ ... ted_States
Yes, it is now illegal. That law went into effect after I got him, I am grandfathered in.
KittyKat
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by KittyKat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Katlin wrote:
KittyKat wrote:Hmm, Wikipedia says that it's illegal to keep pet skunks in Arkansas with a reference, would be helpful if you could update the page if that's not the case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunks_as_ ... ted_States
Yes, it is now illegal. That law went into effect after I got him, I am grandfathered in.
The grandfather clauses in the US are quite interesting! We don't generally get them in UK that often. I bet you were quite happy that you got to keep him :)
Kat
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Do you know what happened to the other three in the litter, and the mother?
Archie was so lucky to have a foster mother like your mother cat, I don't expect he would have survived otherwise. Did she accept him straight away into her litter?
Are wild skunks generally considered to be vermin where you live?
Katlin

Post by Katlin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:15 pm

As far as I know, the other 3 were taken to a rehabber. The first thing I did when I got him was make sure I could keep him. They set a trap to catch the mother. I'm sure once she was caught, they relocated and released her. Mama cat accepted him immediately and let him nurse long after the kittens were gone. Yes, skunks are considered vermin or nuisance animals. I've gotten many abandoned and orphaned kits since and I take them to a place to rehabbed and released. Animal control brings them to me when they find them. They generally dispose of nuisance critters, but they know that I will get them to someone for proper raising and release. Now that I am getting into quail, I'm not sure I will have time if I get wee babies this year. Feeding every couple of hours is very demanding. I love them to death but want to ensure they get the time they need. There is a guy here, a couple hours away from me, that rehabs full time so I take them to him.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:32 pm

I liked the bit in the video where Archie was nibbling your toenails. Can you let him run around outside safely? I presume you managed to toilet train him - was that very different from the kittens?
Katlin

Post by Katlin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:39 am

Archie loved to nibble toes! Archie does not go outside unattended. If he gets out of my yard, the chances of getting him back are extremely low. He does like to go outside and dig in the yard and yell at my dogs through the fence. He stomps his feet, raises his tail and carries on. It's funny to watch! He uses a puppy pad for pottying and is extremely good about it. I am going to take him out in the snow tomorrow.

Return to “Quail Forum”