New to Quail

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

Re: New to Quail

Postby Katlin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:44 pm

I found that video too when googling how to sex them. It's a good video. I found a couple others and some pictures also. That's another part of this venture I look forward to learning!
Katlin
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Katlin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi Marigold and Happy Easter!
It's been a couple weeks.....My eggs were due to hatch today, but the started hatching on Friday. I dry incubated them as you suggested with just a dry incubator humidity of about 25%. I had 15 of the 48 hatch between Fri morning and Fri night. I got 2 whites ones in those 15. I put them in the brooder last night, and had lost 2 over night, one of the white ones being one of them :( Three more eggs have hatched today. I will leave them in the incubator until at least tomorrow night. I have 2 enclosures set up outside and ready for my cages, which by the way, I am going to have to build more of. I've just been working on them as the weather allows. With the 2 enclosures, I can hold 18 cages. I have 5 cages built right now. I will go get some more wire tomorrow and build some more. I have enough for the birds that will go outside in a week or so. I am hoping they will lay soon and I can incubate my own bird's eggs, instead of having to buy eggs and hope they are fertile. I'm not getting real good results from the people I bought these 2 batches from. Any way, that's an update on how this project is progressing. How have you been?
Katlin
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Marigold » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:55 am

Hi Katlin, glad you're hatching again. If the eggs started to hatch two days early, it seems likely that your incubator is running a bit too hot. This might also explain some of the rathr disappointing hatch rate, though of course fertility, age of eggs, and eggs in transit between the seller and you, is also something you can't do anything about until you have some adult birds. Will you be able to crack open the unhatched eggs and see if there was any sign of development? Environmental humidity of 25% also does seem a bit low -here in the UK, it almost never goes below 40% naturally, so maybe a small increase next time might be something else to try, but don't overdo it, maybe another 10%? Anyway, well done, cages and all, your quail emporium is growing!
It would be better to be a bit patient and not try hatching from the first eggs laid by the earlier batch. As with chickens and all poultry, the girls need a while to develop fully physically, as eggs laid a few weeks later will be larger and thus will have more room and food inside for the growing chicks. To get good, fertile, top-class eggs, you'll need mature birds in full breeding condition, rather than 'teenage' girls still going through the equivalent of puberty. So maybe hold off on breeding from them until the girls are 4+ months old at least. This is an incredibly short time compared with chickens, in any case - by 4 months, chickens are still several weeks away from even their first egg, let alone producing hatcheable ones.
Marigold

Previous

Return to General Quail Forum