are Japanese quails monogamous

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

Marigold

Re: are Japanese quails monogamous

Post by Marigold » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 am

My girls don't make any noise at all. I wonder if this is because they haven't got a man around?
rita
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by rita » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:13 pm

mine don't make any noise just a gentle twitter to one another, i can't get over how quiet they are compared to my ducks.
maybe because they live out side they are quieter i really don't know.
i wonder if any one else on here keeps them indoors.
they will go indoors in a shed when winter comes, but i love seeing them outside on the grass.
having them indoors i expect they are a lot tamer then mine.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Well, yes, mine twitter, (couldn't think of the best word to describe it, Rita!) but never crow or warble.
Am now thinking / researching about how to keep white doves for the garden, following a post about them on Practical Poultry Forum by Graham, who also posts on here. Have found a company that makes nice- looking dovecotes to go on a wall. I started on quail a year ago because no room for more chickens, so birds you could house on a wall might be the next step......
Tillman
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Tillman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:45 am

How strange that mine are so noisy. They also twitter almost constantly. Tammy used to make a lot of noise when she laid. I assumed she was showing Tillman she was fertile but the riveting is a fairly new noise. I had wondered if it was because they sense Tillman getting old & are trying to find another mate.
It may be because they are inside that they are so noisy, I have been wondering if they can hear the birds outside & are calling to them but then if that were the case your birds outside would also try to communicate with the wild birds wouldn't they?
They are fairly tame. The girls will let themselves be held & "stroked" by my young niece but not Tillman, he panics if your hand so much as brushes past him.
The doves in a dovecote sound lovely.
rita
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by rita » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:06 pm

i have one that is really tame if i put my hand in the run she will come and nibble my finger nails (because they have red paint on them) she thinks i am giving her some tomatoes.
my brother has got a dovecote and beautiful doves, really nice.
i have 3 laying now two lay under the conifer branches and one that always lay in the house, i think she is the boss lady. :lol:

Return to “Quail Forum”