are Japanese quails monogamous

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

rita
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

are Japanese quails monogamous

Post by rita » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:54 pm

i ask this question because my male only mates with one female, even tho there are 4 to pick from, he sticks to this one female like her shadow, and it's the same as my other male.
i thought that they would mate with all the girls and not just stick to one, has anyone else found this in their Japanese male.
Marigold

Re: are Japanese quails monogamous

Post by Marigold » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 am

All mine just raped everything in sight, male or female made no difference! Obviously you have a more gentlemanly and better- brought-up male than mine,Rita!
Tillman
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Tillman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi Rita, I'm not an expert in Quails but I have a boy called Tillman & 2 girls called Tammy & Tilly. Although Tillman does try to mate with both of the girls he does seem to prefer Tammy & always tries it on with her first before giving it a go with Tilly if Tammy "gets away". I have also found that if he is sitting snuggling with just one of the girls it will always be Tammy, him & Tilly only snuggle if Tammy is with them. I haven't yet decided if this is because he prefers Tammy or if it is because Tammy tolerates him more than Tilly does :)
rita

Post by rita » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:18 pm

well today he did have a little try with my cream coloured one but she wasn't having any of it so he gave up, so far he has not got nasty with anyone of them, but he does rule the roost and they all keep their distance from him, except my range she not bothered by him as she mates with the other male but he doesn't hang on her tails like my redhead male quail.
i could sit and watch them for hours and hours, (oh i did today) he he :lol: . they are just adorable little birds. I have not made up my mind about keeping the males as yet, i think i will take the cream coloured male back to the lady i bought them from as she said it was a female and i definitely do not want two males in my group.
Tillman

Post by Tillman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 am

They are adorable little things, mine live indoors & I always seem have one eye on them & I love the little noises they are continually making :D
I think my little Tillman may be a bit special. He most certainly does not rule the roost. He is getting quite old now & spends most of his day trying to snuggle. It is adorable. Right now he is snuggling with them, they have their heads facing one way & he is facing the other squashed inbetween them :D
Having said that, after all I have read I think he will be the last male I get. It's a shame that you will have to return yours because you get attached so easily but I guess it would be even worse to see them fighting.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:53 am

I agree about watching them. I just moved my run on to fresh grass, gave them new food and lettuce leaves and mealworms, and it's lovely to see them all tucking in and getting 3 at a time into the sand bowl and chucking it right up over their backs.
When two of mine got spooked a few days ago I think it was at that time the run was next to a large shrub, for natural shade, and they possibly didn't like the way the low branches were waving in the wind and 'attacking' through the mesh. Doesn't explain why only two of them were worried, though. All back to normal now I've moved it on to a more open space.
rita

Post by rita » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Marigold i recon the two that got spooked are probably a little bit more nervous than the other one's, they are all different in their personalities, but glad to hear that they are all settled again.
i had the top open in their run to put in fresh food and clean water, we had friends staying at the time and he lean't over to look at the quails and two just flew straight up and into the field, he spooked them as they are not use to any one else but me, i thought that i had lost them but they just sat in the field not moving thank goodness that i got them back ok. :-)17
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:09 pm

Phew, what a lucky escape! I bet your friend was as relieved as you were Rita. What a good thing yours are so tame or you would have lost them.
rita

Post by rita » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:04 pm

how old are your quails tillman, i also love there little noises that they make even the male i don't find his little crow intrusive, it's more like a warble then anything else.
how long do they lay eggs for, and what is a normal life span.
Tillman

Post by Tillman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am

I'm not sure how old mine are. I brought them just over 18mths ago & they were already laying. I was under the impression that a normal life span is about 2 years but I might be wrong & I have no idea how long they are meant to lay for. Tammy & Tilly are still laying nearly every day & are boisterous little things but Tillman seems to be wanting to spend most of his day resting now, he looks like a old man :?
Tillman doesn't crow much anymore but we do have a routine that whenever he does I have to respond "Hello Tillman". It seems wrong to let his efforts go unanswered :) My girls are now much louder than he is. TIlly is particular makes a really loud riveting noise. She woke us up at 4.30 this morning she was so loud. My husband thinks that they stop when he tells them to shush. I think they just look at him quizzically when he does it but i don't lke to disillusion him :D Do your girls rivet loudly too?

Return to “Quail Forum”