paniccccccccccccccccccccccccc

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

karminski
Part of the Flock

Re: paniccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Post by karminski » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:52 pm

i am in the process of wathcing the 3rd one hatch :D :D :D :D :D :D the shell is almost in half omggggggggggggggggggggggg i got 3 . mum was texting me all day and her texts were 3 not popping yet :lol: :lol: . but blimey hell aint they small and thier feet are still a little curled and what if they dont eat i have had to swap the coffee jar lid for a very tiny lid for water this is stressfull :lol: i need a shower but that can wait i really want to try and video this on my phone .
karminski
Part of the Flock

Post by karminski » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:13 pm

i have had to change brooder boxes and put them under the elccy hen in my room as the little one who hatched last night started to die but i put it in my hands and done what my friend told me to do and gentle blow on it and it picked him or her up and i have lowered the hen as well but when should i expect them to start eating etc i know its only 48hrs {ish } but i really dont want to worry to much . the first one who hatch is scooting around evrywhere and they are both chriping loads so i suppose thats a good sign :) .the shop where i get my stuff from and who breed birds told me to give them something called emp feed which is for all caged birds and rearing chicks .
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:41 pm

They do well just on chick crumb, Karminski. When you put them in the brooder, scatter little bits on the floor from a height so it attracts their attention. The main thing is to help them find the water, so have them in a small area of the brooder at first This will also help keep them warm. I found mine didn't want to come out from under the electric hen and only came out to run around and feed and drink when I put them under a heat lamp. The electric hen was fine when they were about 3 weeks old. Mind you it was much colder in February.
karminski
Part of the Flock

Post by karminski » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:51 pm

i now have 3 and i finally watched it happen omggggggggggggggggggg the longest 1 hour of my life and i got some on my phone :lol: i have been showing them the water by very very very carefully dipping thier wee little beaks in it and i mean dipping in the slightest gentlist way poss they are like those little chicks you get on easter eggs so fragile and gentle and then adding some to my finger .
Dean&Laura
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Dean&Laura » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Congratulations! :D
karminski
Part of the Flock

Post by karminski » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:02 pm

am afraid not deanandlaura , i dont know if it was the temp on the inccy , humdidity or bad inter breeding { got eggs from freind who would not of known where he got his birds from } and they were born with very badly curled toes i had to do the worst thing poss yesterday and cull them they were so so so tiny and its broke my heart completely :( :( first time i have ever killed an animal in my whole life and it will be the last time as well . they were to small to even think about trying to sort out thier feet it woud not of been fair on them at all :( .i have had the chance of getting some more eggs of someone on P/P site but i am not going to hatch anymore until maybe next year but another person as said i can have some of her chicks which are due in 12 days time so i at least get experience with rearing them from chicks no one is more gutted them me but i suppose its all a massive learning curve .
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:14 am

Its a gut-wrenching thing to have to do, isn't it? So sorry it didn't work out this time. I think you were very brave and did the right thing for them, though.
karminski
Part of the Flock

Post by karminski » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:03 am

i really dont want to go though with it again ,even the little cockeral has been spared for now as my freind was going to cull him that night but i just could not go though with another death .

Return to “Quail Forum”