Broody Chinese Painted Quail

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

rick

Re: Broody Chinese Painted Quail

Post by rick » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:35 pm

They're so sweet! - and so is the way Martha and Charlie are always dashing around on a mission!

... how do quail take to handling? I know now wouldn't be a good time, of course, but are they trusting at all or always flighty wild? (my CLBs always suspect the worst but the hybrids I've had have almost liked a fuss!)
Sandrine
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Sandrine » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:17 am

You're right Rick now is most definitely not the time! I had to take everyone out on Day to get the cage cleaned up and the gaps between bars secured and it wasn't easy... Bur before the little ones arrived, Charley was getting relatively friendly. My daughter could patiently get him to peck a mealworm out of her hand or at minimum he wasn't spooked by us anymore. Martha on the other hand is the panicking type. But at the moment, they are both protective of their family, so we try and disturb as little as possible and keep our distance.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:35 am

i always found mine to be very flighty, even the home-bred chicks who were handled gently from hatching. As adults, their defence reflex is to fly upwards from the ground level where they normally live. If startled and living in an aviary or cage with too solid a roof they can damage themselves when doing this. However, they didn't have the advantage of parental upbringing by the likes of Charley and Martha.
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:18 pm

A video on the day of their 2 weeks birthday
https://youtu.be/YPb3WnhTsV4

And one from today (2 weeks and 3 days) with Charley in the foreground

https://youtu.be/0sRXj7XzhKE

t's amazing how fast they grow! And they are the panicky type, taking after their mother as Charley is not so flighty ☺️
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Wow, they have grown a lot!
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 pm

I know! They seem to grow faster than the bantams did to be fair! It's really funny how their feathers have appeared almost everywhere but on their heads, apart from a line in the middle of their head lol I find it fascinating! Lol

Return to “Quail Forum”