pickled eggs jarring

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

pickled eggs jarring

Postby dye29 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:36 pm

hi sorry i know this isnt the the correct page to post this but hopefully someone will know my answer , im pickling quail eggs in jars for family my process starts from new jars fully washed the put in oven for 15mins at 180 degrees bring out and cool , boil quail eggs lets cool then peel wash and place in jars , simply pour in white vinagar and screw lid on . have i done anything wrong as i did a jar for my family and after a week they tryed and said they were fowl and off but how . i boil the eggs at 4 days old . ive heard a rumour that i should jar everything then boil the jars with contents for 10 mins is this correct
dye29
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: pickled eggs jarring

Postby rick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Haven't picked eggs but, you wouldn't boil the jars with lids on. Possibly put the open jars in water and raise the lot above 70 degrees (like pasteurizing) then put the lids on to cool (producing a vaccum in the jar. But shouldn't need to boil vinegar.
Maybe clean the jars, fill with freshly boiled hot eggs, fill with vinegar and then put the lid on.
Pasteurizing and making a vaccum is good generally as it sucks the seal tight on the jar and you know it's been a good seal 6 months later as it breaks the vaccum when opened. Commercial jars from the supermarket have that 'popper' on top of the lid to let you know the vaccum has held before opening.
... Totally go with MrsB below except you don't boil onions for pickling but do boil eggs so they best go under vinegar hot before they get any chance to pick up bactiria. Also an onion is sterile beneath it's skin but an egg isn't (at least not in the same way)
Last edited by rick on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby MrsBiscuit » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:13 pm

I don't make pickled eggs but I do pickled onions most years. Not sure if there is a read across with the methods or not, but I sterilise jars like you have, but don't cool them, boil vinegar and spices for 5 mins, then pack COLD onions into HOT jars and pour over warm to hot vinegar. A weak vacuum is created and the onions last for 12 months retaining their crunch. Maybe try it this way with a jar or 2?
MrsBiscuit

Postby Marigold » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:42 pm

If you google 'How to pickle eggs' there are lots of recipes and instructions about how to do it. Eg this Hairy bikers recipe; https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pickled_eggs_79282
They all say you need to use hot vinegar once the shelled eggs have filled the jar, in order to obtain the vacuum which will seal the eggs and prevent them from spoiling.
Marigold

Postby dye29 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:02 pm

great thanks is there a certain temp i should boil vinegar too or just simply bring to boil then pour in jars , ive just ordered some pop up lids for jars so i can now tell if sealed ok .
dye29

Postby MrsBiscuit » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:48 pm

I just bring it to boil, then simmer for a few mins. Do not lean over the pan and inhale, you will make your eyes water!
MrsBiscuit

Postby Icemaiden » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:16 am

I'd also recommend using pickling vinegar rather than regular vinegar. You can get a colourless version if you don't want brown pickled eggs.

Pickling vinegar has a higher level of acidity than regular vinegar, necessary to preserve the eggs.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Icemaiden

Postby dye29 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 am

does anyone have any good recipes
dye29

Postby Marigold » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:23 pm

Did you try googling Recipes for Pickled Eggs?
Marigold

Postby dye29 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:57 pm

ye seem all american recipes
dye29

Next

Return to Quail Forum